SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Rescued large Christmas cactus from thrift store- advice for a newbie

bananastand
7 years ago

While browsing at my local thrift store today, I saw a ginormous Christmas cactus for $30 and decided it wanted to come home with me. I've always wanted a Christmas cactus, and this one looks to be a fine specimen- but I don't know a whole lot about proper care. I did some reading online and saw one source that said they should not get direct sunlight, but that they like light. I even saw one source that recommended moving them outside from June-September, in dappled shade.

Questions:

1. Can anyone speak to ideal light conditions for Christmas cactus? I have a spot in mind for it that gets direct sun, but only for an hour or so in the late afternoon. It's simply bright the rest of the day. Will that work, or should I put it in a spot with NO direct sun?

2. Should I repot this once it's done blooming? It's potted up in a green plastic pot with drip tray. As you can see in the photo below, the pot is totally obscured by the plant since it is so large. I have some glazed clay pots waiting for residents. I read that clay is not as good as plastic for these guys-- let me know if you all agree.

Here is a photo of this beauty:

Just for fun, here are two other additions to my houseplant collection: a mini cactus (unlabeled, so not sure what kind it is), and a dish garden with a ficus tree and some other lovely mosses and grasses.

Thanks for advice!

Comments (9)