SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldlconsultinginc

Best Soil for Christmas Cactus?

ldlconsultinginc
7 years ago

Hi, I currently use ORGANIC CACTUS MIX by Espoma, which is formulated with 40-50% peat humus, sphagnum peat moss, sand, perlite, earthworm castings and limestone to adjust pH. (Copied this from bag) However I got advice that this soil is too heavy and too dark looking.

I got some suggestions: 1. To mix African Violet soil with perlite. Can anyone tell me WHY African Violet soil is better then Cactus Mix? 2. To mix Orchid soil with perlite. Can anyone tell me WHY Orchid soil is preferable?

How much perlite do I mix in if the soil already contains perlite?

I understand from what I am reading that the SOIL type is very important. I am about to go out and buy new soil and perlite and want to get it right this time.

I have ONE group of cuttings growing in the Cactus Mix quite well so I probably won't disturb them. (On this group, I cut back my watering from twice a week to only once every 10 days. I originally rooted them in water, put them in the Cactus Mix and the 4 cuttings have given me 23 new leaves!) However on all my new cuttings I want to get the soil ideal so they will grow well. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Comments (75)