SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curltechnic

Rough Living Space thoughts

Greyson
7 years ago

I'm working with a plan that I like because it has many requirements. Private master bedroom location, open kitchen/dining/living, back dining room for patio door, stairs without a landing, no wasted space.

I'm a simple person and I am looking to design 2 bed, 2 bath, laundry area (in or out of bath), then kitchen, dining, and small/cozy living room. Need to stay under 1200 sq ft or I can't convince my s.o. to sell what we have to save funds. I can design what I want to fit in a 30x40 rectangle fairly easily! I'm looking at some alternatives that have a little more shape (But not too much to make roof and basement foundation more pricey!!!) This is about my limit for number of weird bumps and jogs in the framing.

What you see is the main layout, and then a different idea on the living room/kitchen location. The second image shows the kitchen in the original plan's location. The first one is my new idea on kitchen. It makes the kitchen much more roomy, and adds a good amount of more space. Quickly you realize the dining is okay, but the living room just no longer works due to lack of angled shape, etc. I'm considering lengthening the house to make the right wall line up with the garage but this also adds another 120 square feet! So, alternatively, I can make the kitchen less wide, or??

Looking for some different ideas. I really like the square footage of this house, as it offers everything we want at only 1,100 square feet! I'm afraid to make the kitchen larger, then this means the exterior walls need to be longer.

Comments (13)