SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_913

Outdoor succulent combo pot

Sunflowers
7 years ago

I worked on my second outdoor succulent pot last night since nighttime temps are consistently above 40 for the next 15 days. I was inspired by this Garden Answer video. I really like it!

Worth noting:

-I know many people here aren't fans of combination pots because of different water and light needs. This pot will get about 3 hours of direct sun followed by about 5 hours of heavily dappled shade from a tree.

- I'll water with a syringe if I need to control the water to more thirsty succulents. Otherwise I'm hoping this won't need much watering (once a week in the heat of the summer when it's over 85 or so).

- The soil is about 80% Cherry Stone Poultry Grit with some C&S soil and perlite mixed in.

- It has two large drain holes at the bottom. It's centered over a crack in the deck, but I'd still like to put some pot risers below it to save the wood deck.

Concerns:

- We have some pretty brazen squirrels and rabbits. Will they eat succulents?

- We have very humid summers in Kansas City. I know this is not ideal for succulents. Are there any pests or diseases I should specifically watch out for, besides the usual?

Any input would be helpful!

Comments (31)