SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Combo pots, 2017

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Previous combo pot discussion has so many pics, it's taking a while to load:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2847837/one-of-my-fav-combo-pots-today?n=91

Do you have some combo pots? Let's see 'em!

A selection of succulents in strawberry pot.

Everything has been in place for about a year, except the little purple Cordyline in the middle. Just added that last weekend.

This one is probably my fav, put together in Nov. 2015.

Some hanging pots, ponytail palm & succulent friends.

Begonias & Dracaenas.

New pot assembled a couple weeks ago. A few Begonias with roots, but mostly cuttings. And a lucky bamboo stem (Dracaena braunii/sanderiana.)

A new combo basket, mostly cuttings, put together a couple weeks ago. When everything has taken root, it should start to look more perky.

Jade, Kalanchoe, Echeveria, pencil plant (Euphorbia/Pedilanthes tithymaloides.)

Comments (34)

• 7 years ago

Love them all

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked christine 5b
  • 7 years ago

Just beautiful,Tiffany,very creative too!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Maria z8 No.Ca
  • Related Discussions

cactus mix - ultimate potting combo

Q

Comments (2)
    50/50 or if you can get pumice one third each. Make sure your cactus mix is not the thick wet one from Home Depot. IF so, cut down on the cactus mix.
    ...See More

Opinions...pot filler with a range/OTR micro combo

Q

Comments (17)
    I love my potfiller, use it many times a day in my 14' square kitchen over a 36" range. Still, I'm going to vote no in your situation because your space is tight & you have a lot going on in that area. I don't think the potfiller has anything to do with the size of the kitchen or range. It's either practical for you or it's not. I never slip on water in my kitchen like I used to -- that's how often I used to schlep water to the range and that's how clumsy I was in transit! I love adding a little more water here and there over and over -- in addition to filling pots for rice or pasta or soup stock. BTW, installation is not always pricey. My simple $90 faucet went into an open wall we were plumbing for a washer/dryer on the other side. YMMV. But squeeze a potfiller under an OTR microwave? I think it would be awkward to use at best -- and I'm short. For me this would defeat the purpose of "convenience." So, "no." As you hint, you may be remodeling again someday so maybe he can save the potfiller in his treasure bag for the next / last kitchen. Who knows how many gadgets will be available for marital disputes by then! Have you seen the new Blue Star wall ovens with French doors?????
    ...See More

One of my fav combo pots today

Q

Comments (91)
    Purchased pot of Peperomia prostrata about 3 mos ago, and about 2 mos ago added stems of variegated zigzag (Euphorbia tithymaloides) and lucky bamboo (Dracaena braunii.) Dracaena marginata & red Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) trees with a big air plant wedged between their trunks, sticking straight toward the pic. It has grown a lot of new leaves over the few months I've had it. These trees need repotted so badly. You can see some compromised "indicator" tips in the upper L corner of above pic, a sure sign the roots need attention. This crazy pot has creeping Charlie/Swedish ivy blooming (bottom R corner) and ornamental purslane (Portulaca umbraticola.) Being potted on 8/12 didn't bother these plants at all. Ledebouria bulb is putting up a new bloom stalk.
    ...See More

2017 New England Plant Swap, June 3, 2017 9 am, 999 North St, Walpole

Q

Comments (3)
    Um, yeah, about this. It needs to be taken down and advertised in the correct forum. This forum is for swaps that happen through the mail, as you can see if you read through a few of them. I wish you the best of luck with this, and it does look like a lot of fun, but this isn't the place. It's sort of like advertising condoms in the boys room of an elementary school. They'd eventually use them, but it wouldn't be the exact marketing group you're looking for..
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

this started as a collection pot for leaves/branches that were knocked off while playing with plants. I always meant to split them up when they were rooted, but it kinda grew on me.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Amynoacids (z6 MI)
  • 7 years ago

Beautiful plants Tiffany! I've always loved your mixed pots.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Debra (6a) West Ma.
  • 7 years ago

Newly planted variety

Anthurium & Alocasia
    Hope Philo underplanted with spike frost moss, heart helix & job's tears....This Hope Philo fell over 2 times yesterday, so I took it off the table & set it on the floor.
    It fell off this table 2 times. So I put my scented geraniums & a couple Chiritas & beefsteak begonia, gryphon begonia.

My little strawberry pot of succulents
    newly planted coleus...growing these instead of showy REX begonias that are doomed in my house.
    Yes, a letter holder.. I'm running out of pots..planted with pteris, holiday cactus, fittonia, hindu rope, 2 ferns on the lower level....I've also used big coffee cans & 2 liter bottles, colanders, funnels, whatever
    I lined this basket with thin bubble wrap..

• 7 years ago

Newly planted coleus

Strawberry pot of succulents
    Newly planted brasil philo, heart leaf philo & holiday cactus
    Nepthytis, came with a free wandering Jew. (I hate that name)..never saw one bloom before.
    Satin, brasil philo & neon potho

2 versions of maranta

pilea & peperomia

Newly planted
    Milky way Aspidistra & Needlepoint Ivy.

• 7 years ago

My 1st succulent baby!
    Ag, Rattlesnake Calathea, Nepthytis, Pilea, mini pepperomia.

• 7 years ago

TYVM, Christine! TYVM, Maria! That's adorable, Amyno.!!

Debra, TYVM. I totally just joined your fan club!! I love every one but especially LOVE that funky pink strawberry pot & what you've done with it!

I took a TON of pics this morning but need to get ready to go to lunch. For now, mixed Dracaenas, Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa,) a little false Aralia & some wax Begonias around the edges. I've been working on this combo for about 6-7 yrs. (Billbergia 'Foster's Striate' photo-bombing to the R.)

• 7 years ago

Thank you Tiffany..mine are not nearly as glorious as yours...

I took more pics too...but got sidetracked and now I can't find my phone w/the pics!

• 7 years ago

This spider plant is in the basement in my sewing room...No natural light at all. Just 'daylight' bulbs.

My Mr. brought me home a Ponytail palm from Lowe's!! I'm speechless.

• 7 years ago

Everyone has such nice arrangements!

I don't usually do combo pots, but I have several little crassulas and decided to plant them into a new pink pot I got at Ikea.

• 7 years ago

Beautiful odyssey!

• 7 years ago

Tiffany, do you remember where you bought your Rhipsalis pencil plant? I've been searching, w/o success...

• 7 years ago

Debra, the grass is always greener, huh? LOL! Probably something one hasn't seen before always seems more unusual than ones' own plants that they've seen countless times. TY for the kind words in any case!

If you are asking about Euphorbia tirucalli, I found it @ WM or L's. The few Rhipsalis I have came from a for-postage offer I lucked into a few yrs ago.

A great first combo, Odyssey!

"This old house" is under constant, slow-mo construction, have mercy looking behind the plants, nothing is finished yet, if it ever will be... :)

This combo had no forethought, just mad-crazy slamming plants into pots when it started to get cold last fall (from being in the ground last summer.) Billbergias, Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema,) some Epiphyllum oxypetalum. I'll have to pull some of the Billbergias out soon so they have room to keep spreading/making new pups, but the other 2 are in this pot for the long-haul now. So I hung it with fishing line, looks like it's levitating.

Visible plants until the others grow some more are Coleus & variegated basket plant (Callisia fragrans,) assembled from cuttings a few weeks ago, also hanging.

Dragon trees (Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor'), Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa,) and a big air plant (Tillandsia) that is preparing to bloom.

The other side:

Wire thingie, lined with window screen, succulents.

Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema 'Silver Bay,) Neoregelia, Rhipsalis.

Amazing color of Neoregelia represented more accurately in this pic, and you can see some little variegated Callisia elegans.

Birdnest fern (Asplenium nidus) with Begonia, WJ (Tradescantia zebrina,) zigzag/devil's backbone (Euphorbia tirucalli.)

The rubber plants go up, out of sight, this is at the base, with Kalanchoe pinnata & more zigzag. Those Kals need to get back out of this pot, in a few months, they'll be as tall as me, and would block all of the light from the rubber plant leaves if left there.

More Chinese evergreens, A. modestum & A. commutatum, ridiculous amount of basket plant stems, which I keep winding up, around each other & the hanging arms, Tradescantia cerinthoides, African mask (Alocasia.)

• 7 years ago

Dwarf octopus/umbrella (Schefflera arboricola,) hanging with Peperomia verticillata, a Ludisia stem, & more zigzag.

Wire basket with various succulents.

Cacti for a couple holidays, Coleus.

New construction, hanging with fishing line, Dracaena 'Janet Craig Compacta' purposely installed at an angle so it will have to lean back the other way, adding more curves to its' trunk, Schefflera that was a cutting from the above plant a couple years ago, cutting from rubber plant (Ficus elastica,) Begonias...

... a little false Aralia...

...some Alternanthera ficoidea, and a Hoya stem.

Another new construction, re-purposed wall sconce light, electrical parts removed & filled with soil. I was going to screw it back on a wall or tree somewhere but it's so heavy I decided to hang it instead, using steel wire & the handy little finials around the top rim. Upside: rustically cute, downside: the plate where it would attach to a wall is definitely the back side. Where this is hanging, only the front is visible unless someone goes where people don't usually go.

Full of a ridiculous amount of cuttings. If all of them survive, I'll be taking more cuttings soon... Coleus, variegated lucky bamboo (Dracaena braunii/sanderiana,) Peperomia orba, Cuban oregano (Plectranthus amboinicus,) Swedish ivy (P. verticillata,) Begonia, Peperomia prostrata/rotundifolia.

Another new construction, Ti plant, Drac. 'Lemon Lime,' purple waffle (Hemigraphis,) Peperomia tricolor/clusiifolia 'Jellie/Jelly', prayer (Maranta,) Hoya, D. marginata.

• 7 years ago

...and 2 baby palm trees! (bottom left, grassy looking leaves)

Working on the "wall of foliage" for this year.

• 7 years ago

Oh, you're killing me!! Gorgeous plantings...Do you bring all these plants in for the winter?....You have too many for that right?

Oh, you inspired me...I took a caged drawer from one of those closet organizers. It's rectangular..so I layed landscape fabric 1st then some screen I found in the garage. I wired the screen to the cage...sure beats burlap, which deteriorated in 1 year...Thank you so much..that's how I'll do all my up cycling cages & wire baskets.

I've used lots of vintage metal colanders, & sieves to plant in....even plant in funnels if they're big enough..

I trimmed up some of my plants today..pinched back my coleus, geraniums, lisine, begonias etc. & cleaned up the ponytail palm..

I almost bought a cordyline, but it sounded fussy difficult. So I got an even more difficult plant instead. A Ctenanthe Lubersii..

I lost 2 very small plants, hardly any roots...& I told the Co. I purchased from that they died...You can also put croton on the same list as Rex begonias. that one bit the dust too. My house is not warm enough for some of these tropicals. they're doomed.

• 7 years ago

TYVM! I say enable, u say inspire, I like your version better! LOL!

...but it sounded fussy difficult. So I got an even more difficult plant instead... more LOL! Seriously though, if you get along with Dracaenas, Cordylines should enjoy the same regime. They are so closely related. The common red Ti plant (C. fruticosa) has been a lot of fun for me and has put up with total shade/no direct sun at all for a few years, and lately acclimated to being in the sun for about half of the day. But I totally agree, some plants just don't get along with ones' conditions/routine. Any that are hardy into Z9 (like Croton, Cordyline, ponytail, parlor/bella palm) should be the toughest, regarding occasionally questionably cold conditions.

Yes, all potted plants come in house & small greenhouse when necessary. The past couple winters consisted of comfortably warm days/nights, with a few random episodes of frost.

DH found an old fryer basket with a handle that probably came with a matching pot. It has just-smaller-than-a-pea-sized holes. I can't wait to plant it, won't need a liner. More pics when I can!

• 7 years ago

Perfect! bless your DH....Ctenanthe is closely related to Calatheas I thought...

Wow, it's amazing you fit those plants in the house...you have soo many...have you ever taken a count?!! Haha.

• 7 years ago

Awww, TYVM! And no doubt, DH is tha bomb! I can only count pots. The same plants appear in multiple pots, over & over in many cases.

I was busy last weekend. Here are some of the things I did.

Repurposed & hung!

Some combo pots sitting in flower bed for now.

Mixed Begonia cuttings look recovered & growing.

Residents of 2 combs pots now in this area until it gets cold again. Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) and friends. The purple heart (Tradescantia pallida) will stay there, hardy here.

The lower pot is hanging from the white thing, in which little clay pots fit perfectly! Need to find/get 1 more this size.
    Combo put moved to hanging frying pan. Neoregelia, Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema 'Silver Bay,') Gasteraloe, some Rhipsalis.

• 7 years ago

Wow...everything is so happy looking..Love your ideas on pots...So I think you just cut holes or slits in the side of the pots & screens? And side plant them. You are so inspiring...I'm going to go take a pic of a potpourri heart cage I just planted.

I will be putting more cuttings in when it gets warmer.

My front stairs, dahlias in the 2 pots that look empty, momma & baby geraniums in 2 pots & dwarf daylilies that are trying to green up.

This was a free plant, he sent 2 plants for a substitution. I think it's a Cuphea, next to Ipomena 'Ace of Spades'.

This is that coleus
    'Grape Fusion'

Pardon my hands, I've been spray painting

Pink bloom on the Cuphea

These beans were 3 yrs. old & still were good...Blue Lake. Best green beans I've ever had in my life...see the grass hasn't greened up yet.

Ok, my new Lady palm in the biggest pot, behind her is my new Bird's nest fern, 2 Nepthytis, 1 Reiger Begonia, 1 scented geranium & my Pilea & Pellonia pot

My Saintpaulias are starting to put new growth on.

2 new Euphorbias or Rhipsalis, both hanging side by side. I love them.

Thank you for all your inspiration & ideas Tiffany.

• 7 years ago

TYVM for the kind words! I'm blown away by your creations! The Coleus/Peperomia combo is especially memorable after scrolling through, and the moss heart is divine!

More stuff added to this. The Sedum doesn't stop blooming while taking root.

Part of former wire display rack wired to wire basket lined with landscape fabric. I thought I had some big pieces of Epiphyllum until I gathered them from all of the pots into which I've impulsively stuck pieces over the past few yrs, and installed them here. They shrunk! LOL! I had intended to hang this, but it's way heavy. I need to figure out where to put it...! I wanted to give Epi a big enough pot so that it won't need to be repotted for a few yrs, which eliminates a normal fugly plastic hanging pot, in hopes of getting some blooms, and hope this arrangement keeps it from dangling down to the ground again, hanging or not. The primary stems should lignify in this upright position.

Looking down at the top. There are 5 rows.

• 7 years ago

Love that idea!! Just get a chunky swivel or S hook...I buy them on Amazon. They sell the big ones for outdoor planters & baskets....These are what I use .. the small swivels are for indoors along w/the little black hooks....the rest is for outside...

The big black things are swivels/pull downs for hanging baskets, etc.

• 7 years ago

Wow, you have some serious hardware! It looks like your plants are prepared to go rappelling. LOL! TY so much for the fascinating suggestions! Hopefully the "Epi cage" I made will at least be squirrel-proof. And it needs some friends, to be a combo pot... considering some Rhipsalis & other epiphytic cacti... :+)

• 7 years ago

Where is a good place to get Rhipsalis?

• 7 years ago

IDK! I only go where there are plants for sale a few times per year. I was lucky enough to snag some little pieces of a few Rhips in trade. Someday I'll have enough to share back with others.

• 7 years ago

You two crack me up! I adore seeing your creations and enthusiasm. You are giving me some ideas!

If you want Rhipsalis eBay is a good place to look. The seller Donscuttings has a good reputation. Also

tropiflora.com sell good sized Rhipsalis for a good price. Rhips are one of my favorite.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked chippedchinaplate
  • 7 years ago

Thank you Chippedchinaplate! ..Glad we give you a chuckle.

• 7 years ago

No doubt! And speaking of Rhipsalis, there's some bunking with this orchid:

An update on this pot, now that the danglers have their faces back up. The whole thing is just so "curly."

This isn't the right pot to go into this "concrete towel" planter, but it's occupying for now.

• 7 years ago

Beautiful as always. Love your Hypertufa pot. Did you make it? I've always wanted to do that....There's a Gal on You-Tube that is exceptional at it..her name is Helen. Here's her channel. Helen on you-tube

• 7 years ago

TYVM! DH made it, it's straight-up quickrete. It was left over when we (he) fixed the front steps... and I have no idea which towel is missing. LOL! This is 5-gal. bucket-size. Forgot to say that above.

• 6 years ago

Assembled last weekend. Some already-rooted plants, a lot of cuttings.

Assembled 2 weeks ago. Begonia 'Beefsteak', false Aralia (Dizygotheca/Schefflera/Plerandra elegantissima,) Coleus cuttings.

Kleinia/Senecio fulgens, mariner's Kalanchoe (K. marnieriana,) Senecio crassissimus, Coleus & Perilla 'Magilla' cuttings.

Kalanchoe/Bryophyllum pinnatum, Sansevieria, K. 'Fang,' etc...

Too many names to type.

Birdnest fern (Asplenium nidus) and MANY cuttings exploiting the empty space under its' beautiful leaves.

Repotted last weekend and the weekend before...

Dracaena/Cordyline combo.

• 6 years ago

Assembled 1 year ago, Neoregelia, Aglaonema 'Silver Bay', Rhipsalis, Aloe. In a frying pan (with holes added.) Hung with steel wire.

Assembled 2 weeks ago, K. 'Fang,' Sanseveiria 'Whitney,' K. fedtschenkoi, Euphorbia tithymaloides, Senecio crassissimus.

Assembled 2 yrs ago, status update. The over-scale cutting to the right is only to preserve it for a few months to observe its' bloom. Then will pull it out, remove its' leaves & start a new crop of babies. K. rosei.

Assembled a year ago. Jade (Crassula ovata) likes to bake in the sun on a hot porch step, getting a drink only once per week. The companions seem to tolerate this, but are just this side of stagnant in size.