SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigriverr

A well-draining potting mix for succulents in South Florida?

bigriverr
12 years ago

Hi, folks! I'm brand new here and had a question about potting mix for my new succulents. I've grown succulents in the Pacific NW with success. But now I live in humid, rainy South Florida. I've read that well-draining potting mix is the key to avoiding root rot outdoors (a big problem with our daily drenches in the summer). I've thought about mixing my own (I have play sand and a lot of Perlite, vermiculite, gravel, compost, etc.)

But I also bought 8 qts. of Fafard Cactus and Succulent mix, but it doesn't seem like it will drain enough for this climate. Should I add gravel or pumice? How about adding extra perlite?

Anyone with advice on growing succulents in a subtropical climate? I figure adding gravel or maybe pumice with extra perlite to the Fafard potting mix might work. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I read that mealy bugs can be a problem in this climate. Any advice on preventing this from being a problem? I like to do a lot of research and prevent any potential problems, rather than deal with them later... as you can probably tell :)

Comments (9)