SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danny930_gw

Sweet Peppers for South Florida

Danny930
12 years ago

I'm germinating a few of Bavicchi company Soroksari seeds. I live in Miami and it has been a very wet August. This is my second grow, my first grow was 2 years ago and mostly Beefmaster and Roma tomatoes (I took care of them from seed to transplant then did absolutely nothing, ended up with an immense harvest of both good and rotting tomatoes.) I have some tomato varieties growing (Atkinson, Rose de Bern, Bush Goliath) but I'm focusing on mastering sweet peppers to take advantage of the heavy heat and moisture here.

So, I germinated them in paper towels, moved them to trays with soil (those cells of burlap type things), got about 60% germination as I let a few dry out from negligence. To prevent drying out, I cut out the bottoms of 1 gallon jugs and added water, then placed seedlings in the porous burlap cells on top to let them get capillary action. The first batch that survived has been transplanted, and many more are germinating as it doesn't get cold here in Miami and I plan on growing all year if I can.

Right now I have 5 that have 6 leaves in a very high perlite to potting soil ratio mix and they are doing well. I also dug up trenches of soil, added perlite to the hill portion and hoed it up well, and planted another 5 soroksari seedlings. I feel like i transferred them too soon, but it has been about a week and they are growing strong. I bought a store ready bell pepper plant at 1 foot tall and already flowering, i pinched the flowers and fed it nitrogen rich fertilizer as I suspect the ultra humid weather and rains will leave the fruits susceptible to bugs chowing down on them. It is also in a container with lots of perlite to compensate for the torrential rains.

I want the plants to get very green and vigorously growing until autumn, then add low nitrogen high P and K fert to see if they flower well. Is this good practice? I will post pics of my plants soon.

So my questions are- Soroksari is a hybrid, correct? Will the seeds be sterile/undesirable varieties after fruiting? If Soroksari is indeed a hybrid, what are its parents? What sweet pepper variety have you guys grown in South Florida with success, especially with respect to bugs? Is it ok to spray the plants down with a light mix of dish soap and potassium salts for the caterpillars and other bugs?

Comment (1)