SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

X post, our yard landscape needs help

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've posted this in landscaping too, but I thought I'd also ask here, since y'all have a good eye for this sort of thing. Our yard is an embarrassment right now. But, I won't let that stop me from asking for help. I want it to look nice! Can you help take our yard from trashy to terrific? Before we start sticking plants in the ground willy nilly, I'd like to have an overarching plan. (We still have a lot of cleanup to do outside, so please forgive these less than stellar pictures.) Lanscaping is a foreign language to us. I'm thinking we need zones: eating, playing, walking, wood storage, etc. We also need something along the front of the porch to dress it up.

Once we're past the threat of frost here in Zone 6, I will plant flowers in the beds lining the walk to the mailbox. (Last year was petunias, this year-?) There are crocuses, tulips, and hostas along the walk as well.

We have no foundation plantings at all, other than a mass of tiger lilies under the bay window. We just got the house sided and the porch built late last fall. One thought was hydrangeas along there, but beyond that, I don't really have any ideas.

The yard slopes substantially away behind the house. The trees to either side of the house are maples that provide nice shade in the summer. We eat under the one on the left. The grill is in the front because it's the only spot where it's somewhat protected from the wind.

Eventually we'd like to attach a deck to the right side of the house where the previous owners put a cement pad for their dog kennel. That side gets baked by the sun in the afternoon and early evening, so the deck will need some kind of covering (sun sails?) to render it usable. It will also need some kind of winblock for the grill.

We heat with wood which is wonderfully warm, yet the wood piles are unsightly. Whatever is wrapped in a tarp behind the van will be going away.

The porch faces east, left of the house is south, to the north is the driveway.

Left of the mailbox is a small lilac and a dogwood.

Yes, we have kids.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are more pictures from the sides and closer up:

Comments (19)