SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

One recipe -- four cookies

User
7 years ago

I love to make decorated cookies. I volunteered cookies for three different events and made a "different" kind of cookie for each event. But I used the same recipe for all and baked and decorated them all on Tuesday:

The cookies and the events:

I posted these before -- sugared hand painted cookies for a women's club tea

Frosted and hand painted bunny and chick cookies which are a fundraiser for a club. One of the ladies is leaving town this weekend and she's always bought the cookies for her granddaughter -- it wouldn't be Easter without them and so since I was baking cookies anyway, I made hers.

Alphabet cookies . . . for our library grand reopening. I was one of four who made cookies for the event -- we wanted a library themed cookie and we felt that these were perfect because . . . libraries are about books, books are words, and words are letters. It was fun to see people picking out the letter of their first name or taking more than one and spelling something!

And to go with the alphabet cookies, Little Golden Book Cookies --- they're made from wafer paper and are entirely edible!

The recipe is an easy one and one I've had "forever" -- On the chicks and bunnies and book cookies I used a royal icing for it sets really hard. For the alphabet cookies I used a glaze of milk, powdered sugar, a little vanilla and a couple of teaspoons of corn syrup. It, too, dries hard but not as hard as royal icing.

LINDERHOF CUTOUT COOKIES

1 cup softened butter

1 1/2 c. sugar

3 eggs

1 T. vanilla

1 t. almond flavoring

4 cups flour, resifted with

1/2 t. salt and 1 t. baking powder

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and flavorings. Add the flour mixture and beat or knead until smooth. Roll into two rolls, wrap in paper and chill for several hours.

Using one roll at a time, roll dough out on a lightly floured board. If thin crisp cookies are wanted, roll the dought about 1/16 inch thick; if soft, thicker cookies are wanted, roll about 1/8 inch thick.

Cut out as desired.

Bake in a moderate oven (375) until very delicately golden, usually 8 or 10 minutes. When cool, frost with your favorite buttercream frosting (to which I add almond flavoring).

Comments (10)