SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_young13

poisonous native trees and wildlife

Michael Young
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a piece of land in Muskoka, north of Toronto, Ontario. I've been underplanting native species (mostly trees) into the forest there (part hobby / part experiment) and I'm concerned I could potentially poison local wildlife.
Some of the species I've introduced are native to the province, but not to the region. Two examples are Kentucky Coffee Tree and Ohio Buckeye. My concern here is that both of these species are poisonous to animals if ingested.
My question is: would fauna local to Muskoka, whom haven't recently (genetically speaking) been exposed to these tree species know to steer clear of them? Would they have that instinct or would they, live livestock, eat the seeds / leaves and be poisoned?
I know squirrels are just about the only animal the can eat buckeyes without being poisoned but I'm wondering if that's a localized adaption or if all squirrels, including those in Muskoka who haven't met a Buckeye in thousands of years (if ever), would also be genetically immune.
Any insight?

Comments (10)

Sponsored