SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Picky eater thread reminded me of a funny story

sylviatexas1
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My cousin and his wife were both very smart people, native Texans, never had lived anywhere else (this matters because the coldest temperature either one of them had ever experienced was about 17 degrees Fahrenheit), and they were both the youngest children in their family so no experience with babies. They got married and moved to an apartment in a high-rise in Illinois. Their first baby was born in the coldest part of of the winter. They brought the baby home, very confident because they had read all the books, and my cousin's wife nursed the baby for the very first time. Baby looks up and goes "blaaap" and foamy milky-looking stuff comes out of baby's mouth. Parents panic! Cousin's sister is a nurse, so cousin called Fort Worth. His sister iis at a class. New mother calls her sister who's a nurse. No answer. Cousin calls paramedics. Bless them, Chicago paramedics come out through what is now an actual blizzard, they come up to the apartment. They check the baby out. They scratch their heads and look at each other and finally one of them says that, although baby seems normal and what has happened seems normal, paramedics can't tell parents not to take their child to the emergency room. However there is a blizzard raging outside, and they have to consider which is the greater risk to the baby and by the way maybe try phoning sister in Fort Worth again. New parents call sister in Fort Worth again, she falls on the floor laughing. Parents are relieved, paramedics are relieved, everything works out well.

Comments (11)