SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmcconn183

Closing vents with heat pump?

tmcconn183
7 years ago

I currently have 2 heat pumps providing heat and ac in my 2500 sq ft house (1 in attic for 2nd floor and 1 in basement for first floor). Since we added 2nd system in attic house is way more comfortable and my electric bills are not horrible. (We are in PA, suburban Philadelphia.) Heat pump for first floor needs to be replaced, it is 16 yrs old. I would like this unit to provide heat and ac to basement (approximately 1000 sq ft) when needed. Only needed about 10% of time (really want the ac down there to try to keep the humidity down. We've been running a dehumidifier in summer, but that is loud, and makes it hot in the basement. 2 contractors have told me it is ok to put 4 vents and returns into the basement for this. When heat or ac is not needed, they say it is fine to just close the vents in basement. I have read on many websites (including here) that it isn't ok to just close off vents in unused rooms like this-that it will cause stress to the system and may end up shortening its life and making it less energy efficient. Does the fact that it's in the basement make a difference? Thoughts?

Comments (6)