pagan_

Calling all haworthians....P3

Pagan
7 years ago

Comments (257)

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the splendens most of all, and I don't have one!

And your third from the bottom, Howard. I know it may be pointless to ask for ID but I'm coveting one like that too.

• Matthew Mcateer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Me too, Pagan! Ive got a few others, but this white clone is another class!

Howard's third from bottom is H. 'Mirror Ball'

• Related Discussions

Calling all Fantasy Brown Owners!

Q

Comments (762)
    There are pictures of mine in this thread it looks like yours. seems darker in the pictures. it is 5 years old now and there is not one thing wrong with it it has a leathered finish which is beautiful We had it sealed when it was installed 5 years ago and that was it We only use Windex on it I love it and so does everyone who visits us
    ...See More

Calling all 27 inch sink base cabinet owners please . .

Q

Comments (9)
    Deborah: Kohler is wrong. They are trying to think ahead to allow room for plumber hands to tighten junk and leaking clips. A 27" sink undermounts into a 27" cabinet if the sink is strapped, not clipped or blocked, in place. Plenty of room under a sink for tightening. Hercules Universal Sink Harness or Sink Straps. You can believe Kohler or you can believe a guy who has done this thousands of times and has pictures to prove it. I put a 33" sink into a 27" cabinet last month.
    ...See More

Calling All Kitchen FolK!

Q

Comments (6)
    another thing to keep in mind under the heading "goals"....improving the overall character of the property [assume you own]....in that no connection to an outdoor space currently is shown....how could you integrate this space w outdoor living....what is outside the windows....leave room for future "push out".....this can be executed later but something to keep in mind for an actual upgrade to the space / not very dark or glam... [I like light and natural looking ......or possibility of that where I spend time-personal preference....... think that is more universally appealing....] . maybe glam without the dark leaves more options....is that seriously how you want to spend the budget tho....as the coordinated surfaces have to be a certain quality and all work together and have enough put together to work . looking at glam kitchens maybe find elements / details you can pull in. an Inspirat picture folder usually helps you see what drives you. You can search Houzz with a phrase under search and select "photo" / dozens come up. ....
    ...See More

Calling all rug detectives, HELP ME FIND THIS RUG!

Q

Comments (1)
    Might not be a current model: https://samsinternational.com/collection/sonoma/
    ...See More
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Haworthia Mirror Ball.

Haworthia zantneriana

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Butting in again with more silly questions:

When you all sow haw seeds, is fungicide a good idea? How long do you all keep the seedlings covered..? Do you just leave the seedlings atop the soil and then put some sand over?

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had Mirror Ball in my STC list and kept missing it. What happened that you have so many, Matthew---did you trip over a troll mound of it or something!

Christina: prophylactic use of fungicide is not a good idea, I am told; they supposedly inhibit germination. I didn't bother with it since I generally don't bother with additional steps unless absolutely, blindingly necessary (for example, actually sowing the seeds). I left the seeds on top of the substrate I used (akadama fines, in this case) and put the whole pot in a zip bag. Didn't even sterilize. The dots were out in two weeks and the pot is out of the bag and out in the yard in the shade. If they die, oh well. Wimps.

Gerhard Marx is our friend.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, one pic....Renny calls this one "Tsuru Pika" which she describes as "XXL grower". It made me laugh so I got one. lol Not really presentable yet. Her specimen is easily three times the size of this offset.

Okay, two pics....someone asked for a wimii earlier? This one is a cross between a beueri as one parent and a complex splendens-picta-wimii hybrid:

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    7 years ago

Pagan I love the little teeth on "Tsuru Pika".

I finally got around to take some pictures of a few of the hawthies with my macro lens and "real" camera... Yay.

renny's...

picta

My very first Haworthia, & one of my favorites... had her ~2 years now. Tag just said cooperi.

I am excited for this Cymbiformes variagted pup, it looks like it has a lot more variegation than the mom. I keep seeing "stable variegation" mentioned, what does that refer to?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I would love to take a trip to South Africa and visit Sheilam and other places like Mr. Marx. It would be even more fun, if several wonderful people from here were along to enjoy!

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Thanks Pagan, I always like to hear others experiences. I like your way of sowing! Sounds like what I would do, but I am only receiving about 10 seeds so I think chance of failure will be a lot higher for me...!
    How are the seedlings now? Which ones are wimps? :)

• ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
    7 years ago

I'll join you Howard :-)

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Gabby - Just curious which lens you've gone to for macro?

Going to South Africa would be fantastic. I would bring home so many plants with me. Haworthia and so many others!

Matthew - Great share of photos! I like the look of that H. atrofusca.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd go. But I'd want hikes in the Cape. Am I the only one wondering about food lol

• gdinieontarioz5
    7 years ago

Seeing mesembs in situ! Bring home Lithops! Yesssss.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We probably won't be able to find these things in habitat. They'd be growing mostly underground! We'll need a goat or something, like a truffles pig or whatever you call them.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    7 years ago

Lens is a EFS 60mm, I'm loving it so far but it's my first lens beyond an iPhone so I don't have much to compare it to.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Cool! Congrats on the new lens. New gear is always fun. =)

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had to look that one up. It's a Canon! No wonder it didn't ring a bell. I don't think I've even touched a Canon SLR.

I like the atrofusca as well. It's one of those haworthias that supposedly you have to dig out to see. Makes me wonder how far I can push these things in cultivation to encourage that kind of growth. Initially I thought of huge containers and communal planting. But I lost my original rationale lol

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Pagan - I'm also a Nikon shooter. But I do have a Canon camera as well, haha.

Howard - What was the first plant you had posted? Emelyae major JDV 95/23? Those truncata are beautiful, especially the one in the 6th photo. And what is the venusta hybrid? It looks nice and big!

Haworthia mutica silviana (81280)

Haworthia lockwoodii Eselfontein SW Laingsburg

Haworthia herbacea MBB6737 Mowers

Haworthia emelyae Zebra Station JDV90-7

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kevin, that Haworthia mutica silviana (81280) looks pretty cool.I'm totally partial to retuse haworthias, obviously.

I got a hand-me-down Nikon kit from my brother when I was in high school so that pretty much sealed it for me. By the time I could afford to buy my own kit, I had this whole bag of Nikon lenses already lol

Christina! Here are my seedlings today. I'll take better photos if the sun ever shows up this weekend.

I think about half of the seeds I sowed have not come up.

• Royals fan-MO6a
    7 years ago

I think this is my only one that I haven't posted earlier, I think in the first haw thread. This is a common one, but I didn't have one until now and I'd never seen one this tiny.

Haworthia reinwardtii

I plan to head to the nursery tomorrow so who knows what I might come home with? They don't carry rare ones but since I don't have many to start with, I might find something that I like and don't have. Meg

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rare shmare. That reinwardtii of yours is beautiful, Meg. It is rare to see it so plump and happy as they tend to get neglected.

"Head to the nursery"...hehe. More ominous words were never spoken.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Ominous??? I'd say wonderful! I've been calling a local nursery to see if their succulent shipment is in yet.... they know my voice now..

And I agree with rare schmare...all that matters is if you like it!

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    7 years ago

Got this howerthia id?

It stay close, is this normal?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

The springtime sun adds some color to H. Multics 'Silviana'.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

The sun is helping many plants look better.

Haworthia cv Maughamutica 81328

Haworthia fusca 81012

Haworthia emelyae x badia.

Haworthia truncata 'Freek'

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ycloh, I don't know what it is but it's very interesting! Nil has a few haworthia species with the same habit (they're closed up like that, sometimes so tightly they look like cacti blobs).

Nice Freek, doc.

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Pagan, so exciting! Makes me even more impatient for my seeds to arrive. What kind of seeds? Are you going to make any attempt to cajole the other half of seeds?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Christina, what seeds are you expecting and from where.... Ken?

Not to steal anyone's thunder but here are some new ones for me.

And some older ones.

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Yes, from Ken! buying just 7 seeds was probably not a good start but I really wanted to try it out while trying to keep the spending down.
    bayeri x blue haze is what I got

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cajole? You mean, actually expend effort? Hi, have you met me? lol

Nah. I'll deal with whatever comes up for as long as they'll survive with tolerable amounts of effort. I don't even know what to do with these things if they survive long enough. There's definitely a Haworthia sylviae x emelyae in your futures, everyone.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Me.... I would love one, please.

I'm getting Haworthia picta 'Robert' x picta 'Teresa', Haworthia 'Eva' x obtusa Giant and Haworthia bayeri x 'Blue Haze'. I am really hoping for 100% germination on the first two.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Kevin, sorry I didn't mean to ignore your query about an earlier post. The first one is Haworthia laeta, which is probably a splendens or picta and the vendor has it misnamed. The venusta hybrid is Haworthia Shirayuki-Emaki (80998) and the truncata is Haworthia R2.

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

@Pagan: Oooh... plant mail?

I should've known better than to ask if you were going to cajole anything LOL! I take the same approach for most of my collection. Let us know how your seedlings do later on. :)

I regretted not purchasing Haworthia picta 'Robert' x picta 'Teresa'... next time maybe. It'll be a miracle if I get all 7 seeds to germinate as a first time sower!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Christina, I don't think success at this has anything to do with being a "first timer" or a seasoned professional. I think the operative here is, "Better lucky than good."

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Howard - No problem. =) My 'Maughamutica' (81328) wasn't doing that great for a long time. I'm gone the green route until it's more resilient:

Ycloh - Some species are a bit more closed in than others. This is Haworthia 'scottii' (81104). If they are dehydrated they close up a little.

Meg - I've been eyeing a very similar mini reinwardtii many times like yours in the greenhouse. Still resisting! The one I saw turn quite dark green/purple under higher light. Not sure what yours will do but it looks nice.

As for seeds... my newest ones have not germinated yet. But like Howard, I am happy to share ones from last year, haha.

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Good point Howard. Lets hope we both hit the jackpot with Ken's seedlings. :)

Nice seedling pictures Kevin! It must be so rewarding to start from seed. I want to try lithops...eventually. And plus, with lithop seeds, you get more bang for the buck, if successful germination (of more than 1 lol)! In my area, a nice one could go for $8+...

My seeds arrive tomorrow!!! Or so I'm told by USPS...

Me in a few days, watching my seeds: The GIF doesn't work on here, but if you've seen this movie... you'll know. :)

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Totoro!

Yeah, I tried that. Even tried it with my cat, Hodor. He was not amused.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Kevin, too bad you didn't get more of the venusta-like seedling in the center of the first pic to germinate.... I like that one. The others look like they may have some neat windows.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

New stuff! (and I really have to stop now. I'm having to plan adding another shelf to my dry house as it is. Fortunately, I have no more pots.)

Haworthia emelyae var. comptoniana (GM 266) AL

I've been waiting for this one to become available at AL: Haworthia reticulata var. hurlingii

I'll take better pics in a month. Phone cam and fog do not do them justice, even fresh out of the box.

7 years ago

Just returned from a VERY successful (although my wallet says something else) trip to "Haworthia Walhalla", i.e. the nurseries of Ingo Breuer, and Thorsten & Imri: 43 new haworthias....

Pictures of individual plants will follow at some time. Not all in one go, don't worry. The Other Half managed to sneak that red coarctata in in the back on the right.

This was the haworthia section:

Sorry, no other pictures of the nursery. I was in there for nearly 2 hours just choosing, taking pictures would have taken at least another 2 hours. I also skipped the rest of the place (sulcorebutias, aloes, mesembs etc), simply because I didn't wanted to be tempted to buy any more (not this time any way).

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Pagan, both are very nice. I like the reticulata very much. Yours looks so much different than mine, but the reason for this is the person from whom I got it may be very wrong with the name.

This is cute little devil!

• Royals fan-MO6a
    7 years ago

I came home from the nursery with one Haworthia. I immediately liked the looks of it, but I would imagine that when it goes back to being green eventually, it will resemble a retusa, correct? Meg

• Plantspace (5a)
    7 years ago

Conny only 43!! IB must have some amazing things there.

Congrats on the new additions hope you will share close up pictures soon :)

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Meg: Hmm..Right now, its windows are kind of small to be retusa or mutica. In fact, it looks kinda chocolatey. Let's see what happens to it in your care.

Doc, the two plants look nothing alike! Mine is a rooted offset. Maybe your source had it crossed with something else because it did retain some of the dots.

And don't you just love all the turgida types!

Minty: I wondered about that too. Connie has demonstrated remarkable restraint---I was expecting at least a couple of hundred lol

7 years ago

Here are the first 10. And yes: no. 8 and no. 9 are the same variety, I couldn't choose :-)

• michael19
    7 years ago

What are some good sources for Haworthia seeds?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

We're all showing our best. Today I am sharing something not so good. A warning that it can happen to anyone not paying attention. It's called sunburn.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Conny, I like the last five the best. They are all nice. Can I send you back and you can buy me some plants? I'll pay for them....

• Matthew Mcateer
    7 years ago

H. bayeri cv. Leaf propagation almost 2 years on

H. truncata 'TETRA; Legend of Zelda'
    H. truncata 'Existenze'
    H. springbokvlakensis cv. 'Crystal Ball'
    H. 'Crocodile Rock' throwing a pup from the flower stem
    H limifolia variegata leaf propagation
    H. truncata hyb. Ex Japan
    H. maughanii ex Japan
    H. 'Oyayubihime'
    Any help with ID on this guy?

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ooof, that looks serious, Doc. I haven't seen that before. This is
    from indoor light straight into sun? I mean, what conditions can do this
    to a haworthia? I've scorched some before but never quite that badly.

BTW, Conny! I want #9. These wimiis are something else.

Someone else will have to chime in for you, Michael. I've never
    bought haworthia seeds. They take too long to show proof of provenance,
    I'm not sure I'll want anyone's seeds unless I know them personally, as
    well as their pollinating practice. But Mesa Garden sells some!

And you're one of those people whose haworthias look like dessert! I want that~

It's getting long so let us continue here: