SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slbailer

Desperate for Advice - Firepit patio, Mexican Petunias

slbailer
7 years ago

We had some trees removed so we could do something with the corner of our yard. My idea was to create a patio with Fire pit. The patio would be sort of curved so that I can put plants all around it in a mulch bed, to include the tree in the corner. We have 2 kids but will be moving in 18 months and need something that will improve home value. Our driveway is on the other side of the fence in that same side of the house, so I also need a walkway from the driveway to the backyard. Additionally we have a long row of Mexican Petunias along our fence. I want to shorten the row and contain them so they don't spread. Here are my questions, thanks for the advice!

1. What material to use for the walkway from driveway to backyard? I want a casual but neat appearance that requires no maintenance.

2. Where to end the walkway? Take it all the way to the new patio? End at the door then do stepping stones to the new patio? We also have another patio next to the house (it's concrete but painted a reddish brick pattern), around the corner from this new area. Do I need to do stepping stones to that too?

3. We have a steel firepit that has never been used. Do I need a nice stone one built or will this suffice? Will it look cheap if I use this? With plastic Adirondack chairs?!

4. What material to use for patio? Pavers, flagstone, concrete?? Again, need this to look beautiful but not too perfect, casual but clean looking and no maintenance.

5. Mulch bed would end about 3 feet from that tree in the corner but then as you go along the fence you find the Mexican Petunias. How to end that bed then start the new one with Mexican Petunias??

6. Mexican petunias are about 9 fence panels long. My thought was to chop the ends off and leave the center section. A nice, clean, pretty section, then quarantine them with hefty edging. What edging to use?? Then, do I sod the areas where they were removed or plant something else? If I plant another set of flowers or shrubs, how do I make it all look uniform without it being obvious that I have a Mexican Petunia section sandwiched between 2 other sections of plants?

Or do I just give up and sod it all? We live in NE Florida, zone 9. Thank you.

Comments (7)