SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayyadina

Rose ID help please!

Ellen W.
7 years ago

This rose is from a clipping from a mother plant being eaten by a ceonothus in Sonoma County California. It never got enough light in the 20+ years since the original owner house to bloom as far as I remember, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember this one. The house was built in 1941 and I know the other rose in the yard was from a cutting, however it's entirely possible this was bought.

I would very very much like to know just what I have here since I will need to treat it very differently if it's an arching-type bourbon or a true climbing ht or any of the other things it could be! It certainly has an arching habit so far.

The flower in the first picture (taken from underneath so you can see the detail) had 66 petals and was the size of a navel orange. The petals have a bit of yellow at the point where they attached but no farther up. It really is a cool pink, somewhat stronger than blush, not as strong as true pink.

I hope someone knows what it is! I've been checking Help Me Find and most of the candidates are either supposed to be thornless, or they don't have enough petals or they have very wrong leaves. I know this first of the spring flush is probably larger than the average bloom, but that still makes it a good-sized flower!

Thank you everyone!

Comments (16)

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

I wonder if it might be 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' with paler blooms than usual? Usually, the flowers are a darker pink, but- like many Teas- this rose is quite variable in color and form. To my eyes, the foliage looks right. I seem to remember that 'MBRC' also has vivid pink thorns like those in your second photo.

Another Tea that is usually light pink is 'Maman Cochet'. Although the color is right for 'MC', the bloom form looks a bit more like 'MBRC' to me. Both roses are variable though (and both have climbing forms).

Or it may be some other rose; hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Is your rose fragrant?

It's lovely, whatever the name.

Virginia

• Ellen W.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nose-in there's a real rose scent that I think is called "old-fashioned" (not like a Mille. Cecile Bruner, no fruit or creaminess to the scent at all), but of course describing scents is impossible!

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm putting together a list of candidates and then trying to visit them at the Sacramento City Cemetery.

• Ellen W.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm just thankful people are answering! I know everyone tries to answer these kinds of questions, but sometimes they're real tough nuts to crack.

i have to admit - I *want* it to be Blossomtime, but so far no sign of small cluster flowering. Still strictly singly. But of course roses grown from cuttings can do all sorts of interesting things. I think I'm going to have to plant it in a shady spot in the back yard and train it out along a trellis into the sun. Maybe it will work?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I hope so! It is gorgeous! I think I see more Mrs. B.R. Cant than Blossomtime myself.

• User
    7 years ago

Yeah, I'm far, far far from being an expert, but something about it says "tea rose" to me. I think it's the way the flowers seem to be gracesfully "poised" on the end of their stems ,as seen in the second picture. But as you see I don't even remember what the official name is for that part of the rose flower's stem. It is beautiful indeed!

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Nodding blossoms: I'm seeing something in your rose that's Tea, too. Or is it Tea for two? :-) Strong scent and big blossoms indicate Mrs. BR Cant to me, but the bloom color is lighter than usual as Virginia notes. Another big blossomed, fragrant Tea? Perhaps others who currently grow Mrs. BR (or other fragrant, full, thorny pink Teas) can chime in?

Or, maybe a closer guess is an early Hybrid Tea? I also see single blooms on your rose's stems and a stiffish shrub forming. Earlyish HTs do nod like their Tea ancestors (and your rose). They can also be VERY fragrant and quite thorny. Does this avenue seem promising? If your rose moves away from Tea-naged awkwardness fairly quickly and forms a stiffish but full shrub sooner than later, that might indicate HT instead of Tea.

I also see why Christopher mentioned Blossomtime. If your rose starts to grow like an octopus and throw out clusters as well as single blooms, I think Christopher's New Dawn family suggestion is indicated. Octopus arms is key for New Dawn and Co. The octopus will continue to grow into a climber.

Red thorns: match many HTs I've grown and New Dawn and various Teas. Not sure about Mrs. BR specifically. I believe Blossomtime has red thorns.

Whatever your rose is, it sure is lovely!

Carol

• jerijen
    7 years ago

I don't think it's Mrs. B. R. Cant . . . here are two different "looks" at her. It's not just the bloom, tho . . . I think the foliage isn't right.
    But it sure looks like something I've seen . . . somewhere.

• Ellen W.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree about it being more likely an early HT. It has a lot of true Tea behaviors though! I think there won't be any way to be sure until it's older except I have to treat it like a climber or it won't have anywhere to live. The daughters of the woman who planted the mother plant say it looks like the one they remember but they don't remember a name. I should mention that it really is from the Sonoma Coast, as in the ocean is about 100 meters away.

• Ellen W.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also thank you everyone for posting!

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

Carol, I like "tea-naged awkwardness". Very apt.

Thinking of early HT's, I think the foliage is wrong for 'Captain Christy' and 'La France', but I don't know or grow either, and am relying on photos... not always a good practice. I do think I see a similarity to 'Paul's Early Blush', but again, I'm relying on photos.

But an even likelier match from the early-HT crowd is 'Caroline Testout', a rose that was grown pretty much everywhere soon after her introduction, and still a popular rose. She is fragrant, prickly, and does have bright pink thorns that- IIRC- turn brown with age. And there is a climbing version; mine is still in its "creeping" stage of growth, but I think Jackie has a mature, well-grown climber... hopefully, she can comment about similarities or lack thereof?

Virginia

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    7 years ago

That first picture brought La France (or Cl. La France) to mind immediately. But maybe not. What about Aloha?

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Ellen and Virginia, I was thinking along the lines of Caroline Testout, too. Something Caroline-era maybe? Or maybe truly Caroline herself? However, I think her fragrance is light, pleasant and classic but not what I'd describe as strong or old rose. La France is quite fragrant and silver-pink, but like Virginia, I have doubts about a foliage match. Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The more I look at the first photo, the more I think Tea, and not HT. I just don't remember seeing photos of any early HT's with that particular quilling tendency. If I'm wrong, please educate me.

The second photo looks rather like 'Testout', but I'm not sure her flowers are the right form to be the rose in the first photo? Tessiess, the first photo looks like 'La France to you? Do you think the foliage looks right for 'LF'?

It's useful to remember that many Teas bred after the 19th Century were introduced because they had some of the HT-like qualities considered desirable at the time (upright growth and flowers that were less inclined to nod, for example). It seems likely that some roses introduced as Teas were actually hybrids. In an earlier thread we discussed the likelihood that the original (probably lost) 'Francis Dubreuil' had a richness of color that suggested it may have been more HT than Tea in ancestry. When Melissa recently asked about Teas that remained small, Ingrid mentioned 'Enchantress', which was (and is) classed as a Tea, but had an HT (yes, 'Caroline Testout') as a parent. When Henry Bennett introduced 'Viscountess Folkestone', he was reluctant to disclose her parentage, but went to some trouble to explain that she was a pure-bred Tea; he was ignored and his contemporaries insisted that it was an HT, as it is still usually classed today. My point here (circuitously expressed) being that it may not be easy to distinguish late Teas from early HT's.

If the flower in question has an old-rose fragrance, that does argue in favor of an early HT, such as the famously fragrant 'La France'...

Virginia

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, Virginia, I can't help but see that Tea personality just as you do. Those blossoms and something about the plant itself just look so...Tea! Thank you for providing the info on Teas/early HTs.

All the Teas I've grown have a lighter foliage of a different shape. La France is clad in similar Tea-like foliage, to my eye, even though it is technically HT. I find that Caroline Testout's foliage looks a bit less Tea and a bit more modern HT. These impressions are subjective, and I gladly defer to all of you forum friends with more Tea (early HT) experience. I mention my thoughts in hopes enhancing my education while contributing to Ellen's investigation.

The foliage on Ellen's rose keeps directing my attention away from Teas. It looks more modern to my eye, more like the New Dawn family. In fact, the canes remind me of the New Dawn that I painfully trained on a fence at my last residence.

Like Tessiess, I'd lean toward the ND relative Aloha, but the Alohas that I've seen are deeper pink centered with some apricot at times, and this rose is "a bit of yellow at the point where [the petals] attached but no farther up. It really is a cool pink, somewhat stronger than blush, not as strong as true pink." It looks silvery pink in the photos. Of course, color varies and flowers can nod on all kinds of young roses with big blooms, so this may indeed be Aloha. I'd be inclined to say it's likely Aloha, but....

Aloha is a 1949 rose, so that intro date might fit with the era of the home (1941). Aloha has a pretty strong fragrance to my nose. Kind of citrus-scented.

Carol

• mcnastarana
    7 years ago

Have you considered 'Dream Girl'?

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.36705

I agree with mysteryrose as to the resemblance to the ND family. It could almost be 'Blossomtime' in a darker pink color.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz