SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathysocal

Comparison of Winter Sow to Indoor Sow

CathyCA SoCal
7 years ago

I started these tomato and basil seedlings in winter sow containers on Feb 23. I took the lids off today because they looked to be getting tall and leggy. They do look otherwise healthy and after I took the picture, I added another inch of potting soil to help with the legginess. They are in Pro-Mix HP and have not been fussed with, just put outside and left unattended.

I started the same varieties of tomato and basil indoors in coir pellets the next day, Feb 24. They were on a heating mat and sprouted more quickly. I took the lid off the tray when most had sprouted and started moving them outside during the day, inside at night. I potted up twice. The roots were coming out the coir pellet even before the first true leaves so I potted up to a newspaper pot. The newspaper pots were hard to keep moist so I then potted up to 4" plastic pots. The potting mix is also Pro-Mix HP (around the coir pellets). These plants are shorter, darker green, and already hardened to the wind.

I did something similar last year and in addition did a few seeds direct sow outdoors. Last year, February was very warm in Southern California so I started in early February. I ended up keeping the strongest plants of what I had and they were a mix of the direct sow, winter sow and indoor sow.

I think in the end that the winter sow is the easiest and the results are similar. This is not a scientific test, just my observations. I will likely continue to sow multiple ways because it is wise to have a back up when things don't work out as planned.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio