SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigdaddyj_gw

Winter Sowing VS. Traditional Seed Starting Trial

bigdaddyj
15 years ago

Well, I'm giving Winter Sowing a try. I'm using KBX seed I saved from last year. I started 10 KBX seeds in a slitted container in a sunny spot on my deck on February 2. On April 2 I had sprouts! Eight out of ten seeds germinated totally outdoors! I planted two tiny seedlings (Still no real leaves just the 2 seed leaves) into the garden on April 5 and covered with a clear empty water bottle. Kept the bottle over them a couple of weeks.

I started my indoors KBX seed on March 6. Germination took 5 days. Had about 80% germination rate similar to the WS'ed.

I am growing 2 WS plants and 2 Normal started KBX plants.

I planted one of the normals right next to a WS'ed in my garden on April 25. This picture was taken on April 25. You can barely see the WS plant as it only has a couple true leaves so far and it's the one growing next to the daffodil foliage. The larger indoor started KBX plant is next to it. Both are in Texas Cages. You can also see a few onions growing in the front of the tiny tomato plants.

If anyone else is doing anything similar please post and we can compare. I will keep this post updated through the season.

Comments (45)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm