SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Crazy? Remod laundry room?

tammyte
7 years ago

This is cross posted in remodeling forum. Nothing like considering remodeling your newly built home....sigh.

Basically the "builder" (I use that term loosely.) told us we couldn't use space above the stairs and we actually could have. I argued with him a lot but he had me convinced. And at the time, I thought he knew what he was talking about. I now know that he is just a salesman with no skill/knowledge whatsoever.

Now we are seriously considering this, BUT we have some obstacles. I will post a pic of a floorplan.
I originally had the washer and dryer on the opposite wall with the intention of 3' of the laundry room extending over the end of the basement stairs. But when he said we couldn't do it, I switched the pocket door and washer and dryer because the pocket door was behind the back door swing. I figured I would just make the best of it. ugh.

So it's not just a simple - knock out the wall and add the floor. We would need to move the washer hook-up, dryer vent and pocket door entering into the laundry room in addition to knocking out the wall and adding floor over the stairs.
Do you think it's possible to use the pocket door? Like we would just flip it around and it would slide the other way? I'm pretty sure my dh can do the plumbing and dryer stuff.
Wdyt? Is this a crazy idea? Right now the washer and dryer we have in there take up a ton of space. There really isn't room for hampers, baskets or much. If we didn't do this big project, we would likely try to add some built in shelves using space over the stairs. Would love your thoughts!

Smaller pic is how the room actually is. Pic showing full house plan is my original layout and what I would like to do if possible, but adding the area above stairs.

Comments (18)