SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esmith713

Thoughts on using rock for ground cover?

Conifer K(7b GA)
7 years ago

I'm a fan of the Gotelli Collection at the National Arboretum and was wanting to recreate that look, to some extent, using crushed rock ground cover.

My issues are concerning how the rock might, or might not, effect my soil properties over time. I'm growing in clay and I live in GA where we see 50" a year in rainfall, so drainage and proper nutrient uptake are a top priority, right? I like the idea of using pine bark mulch thinking it will improve my soil texture over time as it breaks down allowing for better drainage, but I also really like the look of rock.

Does anyone know the maintenance and cost involved with applying crushed rock or pebbles vs. mulch? Is the rock applied directly to the soil or on top of a fabric? Do the rocks stay in place and are weeds typically an issue? Do the rocks heat up and raise soil temperatures? What type of rock is seen in the picture below and where is it typically sold?

Might an appropriate solution be to apply several inches of a compost and soil conditioner mix first, then a fabric weed barrier, followed by crushed rock? Thanks in advance!

Gotelli Collection at the US National Arboretum

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm