Anybody know what this is?

Stephen Ray
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Comments (42)

• Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All my cuttings died, I didn't save the mother plant! Silly me!

• Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I babied this thing last summer with lots of Miracle Gro and early morning sun. I watered it every day and moved it twice or three times a day to give it ideal conditions. It loves the direct sunlight when it is cool but 80 degree heat plus direct sunlight will scorch the leaves. Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Does anybody know what color wires go to a 6 pin ignition switch

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a Murray wide body with a 15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. I just bought a 6 pin ignition coil but I believe the old switch was a 7 pin. I just need help finding out what wires go to each letter on the key switch The model is 425008x8
    ...See More

does anybody know what granite is this?

Q

Comments (5)
    @E Ktz - there are many black granites. The name is unimportant as granite names can vary all over the place. The granite called Absolute Black is very well known and commonly found. Just go to a few stoneyards and tell them you want a solid black or charcoal granite, and they will show you several. Make sure they are reputable stoneyards. There are stones being sold as Absolute Black that are not, and have been impregnated with black dye to look like Absolute Black and in order to fetch the price of Absolute Black.
    ...See More

Does anybody know what this light is?

Q

Comments (9)
    Could you subsitute any of these from Wayfair? https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Light-Amber-Modern-Linear-Chandelier-with-Gold-Adjustable-Arms-and-Glass-Shades-BD1031-6-HP/318549930 https://www.amazon.com/Dellemade-Sputnik-Chandelier-Mid-Century-Ceiling/dp/B07WTG8SYJ https://www.amazon.com/LITFAD-Chandelier-Chandeliers-Adjustable-Restaurant/dp/B084221T9T
    ...See More

Anybody know what happened?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you, Kristine! Your alert to my ignorance of the technology is greatly appreciated. I did not know how to access older posts until just now when I discovered the 'older post file,' in the top corner of rosecanadian's beginning post. You learn something new every day. Thank you for being my teacher in this new discovery! Moses
    ...See More
  • Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Excuse me, even if I do say so myself, I have never seen another Angel Wing Begonia this healthy. Did I mention that it likes to bloom? You cannot get results like this by setting it in your front room.

If anybody can please tell me the name, I need to get another one. -Thanks!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

I think it's a fancy leaf begonia rather than a dragon wing or angel wing..don't know the exact name of yours but I've seen fancy leaf begonias at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart etc..

Stephen Ray thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nicholsworth55, I will continue to look at all the usual places, but so far, I have had no luck.

7 years ago

I haven't been to any garden centers yet..still early where I live..where do you live?..I haven't had any as large as yours but I buy small ones in the houseplants dept and plant combinations with annuals in my urns for the summer..

• Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I live near Kansas City, Overland Park, Kansas.

7 years ago

you could be in a little warmer climate than I am but even if you found one now I bet it's too early to keep it outside..maybe another month or so will be the time to buy one..

Stephen Ray thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks hc mcdole! - The big one on the cart sure is a dark green! Big leaves too. Your picture of Sophie seems to have slightly larger leaves than my plant, but it does have similar light spots. And Irene Nuss doesn't look like an exact match either. But B. Lana looks like a match. The older leaves have more distinct white spots. The serrations are more pronounced on my plant but I am sure that's because I was really pushing it with Miracle Grow and lots of water and lots of perfect cool sunlight with shade in the late morning and afternoons. I am convinced. Thank you very much.

Your other begonias are very nice too. I don't have many potted plants but I have an area in the front that you can see in this new pic. Plus I raise tomatoes in the back yard. These zinnias got over five feet tall last summer!

• hc mcdole
    7 years ago

Very nice Stephen! I used to raise a few veggies until I decided to plant flowering plants (we had a small lot). I could get most veggies from my dad back then when we visited them in TN or the local farmer's market. Even with a naturalized garden, that left winter with the blahs so I got more and more houseplants over the years. We moved to a much bigger house and now my basement is filled to overflowing with tropical plants with begonias being the biggest family of plants I have. I run 85 to 90 shop lights and still don't have enough lights so the canes for the most part have to sit on the floor and get whatever spill they get from the plant stands.

I just picked up five more plants this Saturday at our begonia club meeting. Now I just need to get downstairs and get them in a pot! Three are canes, one rhizomatous, and one trailing/scandent. The more the merrier?

Silver Mist or Silvermist that I cut from the mother plant back at the end of December. That is my arm in a orange long sleeve undershirt holding a 14 oz Walmart plastic cup. These photos were 6 days ago.

Cracked Ice that I cut to the ground just to see how well this plan worked. This was cut back in February. Looks like it didn't hurt it too bad?

Comte de Lesseps that I cut to the ground and this is the top potted in a 14 oz drinking up too. This one will get 5 to 6 feet tall and has very large leaves.

East Gate that I bought from a lady in southern AL years ago when she had an online presence. This one has never bloomed much like Sophie.

This is my own seed collected and grown hybrid (maculata and Mrs. Hashimoto). It has the spots of maculata (the mother plant) and the shape of the leaf is from Mrs. Hashimoto

Silvermist is towering over Snow Capped.

Here is my hybrid again

Probably the smallest known leaf on a begonia is Peridot.

Lana in a big pot - these were cut to the ground in November. Again the canes have to sit on the floor and get whatever light they can get from the adjacent plant shelves.

Nokomis that I cut back to the ground in late December. It gets a little sunlight from the door to the outside and overhead fluorescent shop light.

Stephen Ray thanked hc mcdole
  • Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

How lucky you are to grow so many beautiful begonias since I am in Florida and I don't have too much room inside my home I have to keep them outside and that is not good for the real pretty big leafed begonias not in 98 degree weather with the Sun hitting them. Happy growing

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Don't you have any shade in your yard? I've been to Florida many times and see lots of begonias in people's yards and also at the amusement parks.

Here are a few at a friend's house in Orlando where the morning sun hits them full (and it is getting pretty hot when I visit). The first year I visited the photos were terrible due to the harsh sun. The year I took these I took along my diffusing screen so my friend held it between the sun and the plants.

In West Palm Beach at somebody's home that was on the ABS convention tour

At Orlando's Discovery Cove in the parking lot (next to the street lamp)

and a close up of it

At Sea World

a bed of odorata begonias at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami (Coral Gable)

nelumbiifolia in the landscape at Fairchild

Wished I could post more than 10 photos at one time but it sure beats their old system - one for the original poster only.

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

All the photos are a dream. The last one I can't even imagine. No I do not have any shade. Yes I have shade does that sound confusing I bet you it does I do have one spot where I can grow a begonia one spot I just started growing a begonia but this is a little garden that's been four years in the making. And I have my orchids which is why I made a pretty enclosure with a brown tarp for four by fours one side has my 6-foot wall white PVC fence the other side has a lattice on the other side of the lattice there's a palm tree and on a piece of it there is my house. I do have a spot for it in there in front of my nepenthes pitcher plant. I have two chairs and a table in there and that is where I will be putting my Vanda orchids

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

At least you are growing things outdoors. Shade trees are a boon and a bane. You can always make shade like you have with lattice or even slats?

One thing is begonias are hardier than most people think. They can take some sun (not all day except a few might be able to do that). Here is a garden in Tampa area that grew begonias in the back yard. These were all taken July 16, 2009

USF gardens

Marie Selby Gardens (Sarasota?) 2014 but the begonias were in a shade house

Discovery Cove - a ring of Begonia 'Torch'. It was so bright that the highlights of the concrete were blown out in this photo

A shady nook with some canes

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

hc mcdole! OMG I love the little Peridot and Cracked Ice! All of your plants and pix are so beautiful!!!!!! Really enjoy them! Rosie

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Thanks Rosie. Got ten trees cut down yesterday so lots of my begonias and other houseplants are in full sun. I must move them tomorrow or early this week. Some were probably fried today but I was in TN.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Oh no,,,I hope they can be saved! Rosie

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

Hoping your begonias recover from the change!

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

They'll be fine. Most have been outside for a few weeks so should be pretty good. The ones I just moved out had some burn - Selph's Mahogany, a philodendron (small leaf), and the tree philodendron. I will cut those burned leaves off soon and new ones will soon make it seem like nothing has changed.

Here are some new ones that get about 3 to 4 hours of full sun a day.

and the reptiles are out enjoying hot days

The imperialis (some call it Silver Jewel) is in deeper shade

This Valida may color up more since it is in fairly full sun now.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Awwww, I have always loved anoles! And the Escargo type is gorgeous. And the Valia! Beautiful!!!!! And I love the rest of them also!!!!! Rosie

• Stephen Ray
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I recently visited an upscale greenhouse that had some small pots of a Begonia named Lana. They were so wonderful, the silver parts/spots/splotches on the leaves had a ruby color! I was so amazed, I bought one. The ruby color seems to mix with the silver and it seems to glow! I have never seen this before. Does this ruby color appear on Lana only in perfect greenhouse conditions, or is this really a different Begonia?

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Can you post a photo? I've seen purple splotches in the past but not ruby.

I've seen some of the superba canes go from silver streaking to almost pure dark green depending on light levels.

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

HC , OMG those begonias a delight I am trying to fit some more in my yard so little by little I'm doing it. The one that looks like the shell is just beautiful just beautiful if you go to "Libby little garden" on YouTube you'll see my little miniature Garden I've added two more begonias as since I took those videos which were two months ago I'm just doing it as a journal not to make money but I am trying to really keep a journal so I will be doing much better than than that because that was my first couple of attempts 4 for right mow.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

I saw some of your first video - nice! I really like your ponytail palm. You have done a marvelous job with it!

I started out with a 50 cent tiny bulb (about 1 inch across) from Home Depot probably 15 to 20 years ago. I finally topped it a couple of years ago because it was nearly 8 feet tall.

Here it was in 2013 - the next year I topped it. It is still in that 15 inch pot and would probably do a lot better if I repotted it. Not sure if I want it to get any bigger though.

If we lived in the tropics we could grow them in the ground where they get to a nice size. (Cancun Feb, 2012)

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

OMG!!! Phenomenal!!!!! Rosie

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

Ok HC here I am feeling all nice because you looked and liked my ponytail and then you show that last picture LOL PS yes if you were to put yours in a different pot it would grow wider instead of taller you got to keep me informed and see how it's doing. Thank you for looking at my little garden I so enjoy it

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

Btw I don't ever pay more than 4.00 for a plant. I splurged and paid $6 for a TINY orchid it came in 1inch square pot!! "Libby little garden" is five years old. My ponytail bulb was the size of a baseball when I got it 5 years ago it was one of my very first purchases

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Your garden looks very nice Libby. What are the dimensions and the growing conditions (where do you live)? Looks like a patio with a roof where you have the bulk of your plants? I like the dark begonia - take a snapshot of it and post it. Video is nice but a tad long (so I skipped around) and in portrait orientation instead of landscape mode so can't really get a good feel for everything.

Ah, that must be nice to put a limit of $4 on buying plants. Just bought this monster today and won't tell you the price. At least it was the most expensive thing I got today.

Hard to believe we are in the second week of June already! Gardening time is slipping on by...

My Blushing Bride hydrangea is blooming better than I thought it would back in April when we had two nights of low 20's.

My Black Diamond (can't remember the color - want to say crimson red) crepe myrtle is in its 3rd summer and doing good (not great).

The little green lizard is enjoying the sunny days (we've had rain for a week or longer).

Not sure if this is the same one but it didn't know if it wanted to jump down or try to find a way to go up.

Check out some of these rexes I picked up today

And some clearance rack celosias at Lowe's (you'd be happy with the price - $3 each!)

My voodoo lilies are coming up!

Asiatic jasmine 'Summer Sunset' is taking over one of the beds.

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh how incredibly beautiful. Lucky lucky you. I will post the rest of my pictures after I finish I need to do a little bit of rearranging and the yard and yes I have it too tarps one witches 8x10 and the other witches 12x15 then where I have my adenium they are in a spot where I do have an umbrella but the shade of the umbrella does not hit them in that corner until about 3 in the afternoon so they've been doing wonderful they're the only reason why I have them covered is because I transplanted them I gave him the soil I dug them up so they have a little gauze around the bottom. I will take pictures and put them up because I would love to know the name of some of my plants. When you buy on sale and in little corner shops you don't get the luxury of a tag.:0(

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

HC you have VooDoo lilies! Wow, I have never seen them grown like that. I love them. I have tried to grow them in pots during the summer and they store just fine over the winter but they start re-growth so early in the spring and bloom and then go to he double hockey sticks!!!! So I guess I have to enjoy yours in pix! Rosie

PS. All the other pix are beautiful also!

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Show more of your garden in photos here Libby. I think people will like what you have to show. The big dark begonia is of interest to me!

Rosie,

Yeah, I have some voodoo lilies - long story though. Bought two different ones from PDN years ago ('Konjac' and the peony flowering one but lost that one). So I move from our old house and bring these along to this house (13 years now). Give some of the babies to family and friends. In the meantime I had not been paying attention to mine and they were getting smaller and smaller each year. (too much water probably) So my mother got tired of hers in the ground (middle TN) and dug them up and threw them on the compost heap (maybe there are some out there but I haven't checked). Two years go by and not a peep of one showed up where she had them. So they come back with a vengeance 2 years ago. She wants them gone and I tell her to wait until they die down so I dig them up November 2015. I dug up several bulbs and I sliced a big one with the shovel. I put them in a cardboard box in our garage for winter - no "dirt" other than the TN clay that remained and no water. Then about March last year I notice this long looking spike coming up from the box. Yep, one of the bigger bulbs decided to bloom. I let it go for another week or two until it opened. Too stinky to keep in the garage so I moved the box to the front porch - still kind of chilly last April. Anyway the photos above are the ones I put in the ground last year after the one bloom died back. Here are the photos of the stinky flower from last year.

Guess I didn't get them all dug up though because some came up last year in TN and my oldest daughter got those and has them growing at her house in NC.

Oh and Logee's is selling the Amorphophallus titanum aka Titan arum (same family - one of the biggest flowers in the world but only blooms every 13 years or so).

April 1

April 8

July 28

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago

That is just amazing. What an amazing story. Tomorrow I will take pictures of my dark begonia and my other begonia that the leaf is larger than my hand by far and another begonia that I have which is green with some red. But I want some of your red red ones those are beautiful. I did put up the pictures of my adenium I hope you saw them

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

That sounds good Libby. I'd like to see your begonias in more detail.

I don't know where you posted your Adenium photos. I only visit 3 forums on GW. Please provide links if you want people to see what you posted. Here are a couple of photos of some big Adenium in Thailand - they love them over there. The statues are probably 6 to 7 feet tall to give you some idea of scale.

This was the Chinese museum that was a gift from China in Pattaya (July 2006)

Our second trip June 2015 we visited Nong Nooch garden for the second time and saw a lot more we missed the first time (or was not installed our first time)

The potted plants on the right side of the road are mostly Adenium.

My wife in the picture

Those are all wired like bonsai.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Oh I love that story HC. One day I will get another one. Once in a great while in Meijer they will have them prepackaged in the spring. But I never seem to get there before they are all gone. All that is left is the empty box with a pix of what was in it.....sigh.....But someday!!! Rosie

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    thank you what beautiful pictures I think my pictures are in where it says something about a rainy day and then they're all in there can't you see the pictures if you go to whatever I have posted
  • Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    here are all my begonias
  • Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    HC you asked for the pictures of my begonias and I sent them all to you here they are. they are above this post
  • Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    the picture that I'm holding back the dark begonia it's so dense that even me holding up the first layer you still cannot see the inside of the plant you can't even see what the plant is growing on much less the soil or the pot
  • hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Thanks Libby for the photos. The first one reminds me of 'Camouflage' - probably not it but looks like it. I'd like to see more of the big leaf one's stems. It looks very similar to 'Virginia Jens' if it get some big trunk-like stems.

The very last one could be a handful of red leaf ones coming from Brad Thompson (or Ross Bowell out of Australia).

You have a nice collection going there! Living in zone 9/10 makes a huge difference in growing.

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    I wish I knew what all three of them were but I will take more pictures and see if you can identify them better right now it is raining again and it's dark outside so we will try again tomorrow Happy growing
  • cindybell
    2 years ago

Send a pictures to Steve's Leaves on Facebook or on his website. I'm sure he can tell you the name of it.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals