SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawizz

So frustrating! What can I do to move things along with update?

MaWizz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am so frustrated about getting my kitchen going! I don't understand what is going on. I don't know if this is normal or not so I would appreciate any insight and advice. I guess first I should say it did take me forever to decide on kitchen cabinets and kitchen company to use so maybe I'm just being anxious now that I'm ready to go and it's not happening. I had a measure and consultation with this company before Xmas and we mulled over our choices til probably the middle of January. We got a drawing right away but it was incorrect. They apologized and we received another February 6th. I kinda looked at this one as our first one since the first was incorrect to really critique as it included cabinet specs etc. I emailed the corrections and have yet to receive a new drawing! It's been over a month! I just looked at my texts to the KD and I have asked for an updated drawing 4 times and called 3 times. I know they are busy and are working on really big jobs but I'm starting to feel like that aren't going to do it! :( I have even gone to the shop to pick up samples to kinda see what's up! If you remember that was when they gave me a free wine cooler! Also, gave me a bunch of Cambria samples, introduced me to everyone at the shop. Couldn't have been nicer! Always so nice to me. Even when we spoke a week after so nice on the phone offering some really cool suggestions and saying they will send pics of ideas then nothing. Each time another week goes by and nothing! I always have to initiate contact. What the heck? Is this normal? I feel like they are not going to do the job...but would they give me a wine cooler and all these samples, send me to stone stores? Am I Getting all worked up about nothing? I haven't shared with my DH how frustrated I am because we are so busy right now but mentioned a little today and he said just throw them a text. I read back all the texts and he just said send another one and tell him you want to know the start date. I did this am and still nothing :( is it because my project is mainly a cosmetic one? Maybe I'm just anxious because It took me over a year to get to this point and now that I'm ready I'm just counting the days? Am I worrying about nothing? Is there something I can do to move things along?

Comments (39)

• sherri1058
    7 years ago

I had much the same experience. Very nice, but not at all responsive after I gave them their required deposit. They promised that I would have a finished kitchen before Christmas, but they didn't start the install until the end of February. I phoned, I emailed and I went to their shop. Nothing worked. They had so many delays and made so many mistakes that I didn't get a finished kitchen until the end of July. If I had it to do over, I would have gone elsewhere. The whole experience was a nightmare (and I typically love renovating). The only thing that kept me from going off the deep end was my GC..... who had never used my cabinet guys before and will never use them in the future. Maybe someone else has a better experience......

MaWizz thanked sherri1058
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh gosh sherri that's what I'm worried about :( but the thing is I haven't given them any money yet! I told them I wouldn't until the drawing is correct! So they have nothing ... maybe that's the problem?! The other thing is we loved these cabinets the most and they were so willing to do anything and everything...whatever we wanted so the one stop shopping with them was awesome.

• Related Discussions

So... Funny thing happened when I moved into a new place...

Q

Comments (3)
    "The restoration company put me up in a hotel (that insurance would reimburse)." Did you get it in writing? Hope you don't get stuck with the hotel bill. Whose name is in? If it is in your name you are legally responsible to pay it in full if you contracted for the room. Don't rely on a verbal promise from the restoration company. Also check your insurance policy to see IF they even pay for hotel expenses and/or if there is a cap on the total amount they will pay up to. Stay in contact with your insurance company. Call them daily. Find out the lease laws in your area to see if you are released from your obligation. There must be a landlord tenant group in your area to call for quick info. No one here can tell you anything specific without knowing the laws in your city/state.
    ...See More

So Frustrated I could scream!!

Q

Comments (35)
    Wow dsf....you figured this all out ;) Yes you are right....I am no fool and the operations manager is clearly, the soft spoken apologetic voice who tries to keep calm. Everyone has a job to do, I honestly can say that my dealings with this company overall have been positive. I am wise to the business, and I can tell when I have had the BS sent my way. I know that there has been a little nickel and diming going on, and one sub really tried to stick it to me. I called him on it and gave him an out...he took it and made everything work out so that the price did not go above what he had already cheated me on. I just don't feel that getting into arguments, agitated and fighting with them is productive. I have kept my cool within reason and they know it. In the end I have a very nice pool and they made a little extra money. My main gripe is how they can have the sales guy keep doing this to people. He does this repeatedly and I have it from some of the subs that this is a recurrent theme. I was even emailed today by someone in my area who is going through the same exact situation....we both guessed immediately that we had the same sales guy. You know who he is I am sure of it. He may be great at design and sealing the deal, but he really leaves a sour taste in your mouth in the end. That is not good for business. I would recommend this company again, but not this sale rep. Anyway thanks for the positive wishes, I think everything is going work out and in the end they built us a very beautiful pool.
    ...See More

Do you collect/buy curious things? If so, what?

Q

Comments (63)
    I am a collector of random things but I do seem to have a lot of pottery and baskets. Here is a collection of stuff on top of a little box on my desk. In looking at the photo, I realized I have three cats - but it wasn't intentional.
    ...See More

Things are moving right along.

Q

Comments (30)
    Sorry to hear that everyone is having so many problems with the temperatures. It snowed here yesterday and the winds are cold and biting. My hostas are still below ground but the daylilies are bravely sending up more and more shoots each day. Most of them are 4-6 inches above ground but I think that the cold doesn't hit them as hard as it does the hostas with their leaves that are more susceptible to frost.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

MaWizz, I just saw your comment in another post about your previous home in northern Michigan. Are you still in the area or did you move? I am in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area.

Getting people (trades, designers) to call back or follow through is incredibly tough right now in southeast Michigan. The difference from 7-10 years ago is amazing! My husband jokes that perhaps we should wait for the next downturn so we can finally get someone who has time for the work. They are turning away jobs right now. I am happy for the local economy, but it is tough trying to get something done. Best of luck!

MaWizz thanked User
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mobuddy no longer in Mich. i too was in southeast Mich. I know your area well. When there I was the GC for our kitchen reno and used all trades by friend referral. They were on time and excellent! Miss them! Thanks for the well wishes I really hope I'm just getting worked up about nothing.

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

We connected with a local kitchen person in August of 2015 and told her that we weren't in a great rush because we had other things that needed doing - windows, floors, etc. That was a mistake. Little did I know that it took her 2-3 weeks to do anything, even minor corrections like moving a cabinet over 3 inches. Sept., Oct., mid Nov., the plan was finally ready. We'd started making anxious noises in early Oct. Part of the difficulty was that she doesn't do computer drawings, so when she was ready, then we had to wait for the other guy to transfer her drawings to the computer. Regardless, she wasn't working on our project any too often. Then she says that Company A is backed up, so cabinets wouldn't be sent for at least 12 weeks, and then we'd have to wait for them to be shipped from the central warehouse to us. Company B might do it in 8 weeks, plus the 2 week warehouse thing, but we'd need to re-draw with their cabinets in mind. That was the point at which I lost it.

We went back to Home Depot and ordered cabinets in a line we'd had before and been very happy with. From the day we saw the person at HD until we had cabinets sitting in our living room was 7 weeks, including the time to re-draw. We had to send one cabinet back and received a replacement in a couple of weeks. We were DIYing the install, so that wasn't an issue. I'm not sure I'd want an HD installer - we're picky about installation. In any case, the granite went on in the middle of January 2016.

Were I you, I'd find the boss and nail him/her down about this timeline. Be blunt. Do they want your business? Have they overbooked? Are you OK with the actual timeline now that you know what it really is - maybe? If the answers aren't satisfactory, walk away, or at least consider your alternatives.

MaWizz thanked suzanne_sl
  • mtnmom9
    7 years ago

I'm running into the same issues with my remodel. I'm on my second cabinet rep/company after the first one stopped returning my calls and emails. I'm afraid the second one is flaking out too. This entire process has been so frustrating. I think the construction and remodel industry is beyond slammed right now. I think the problem is that they're all so busy and everyone wants their kitchens remodeled now. It doesn't help that we are approaching summer which is their busy season. MaWizz, have you given them a deposit yet? I agree that you need to be blunt with the company and be prepared to go elsewhere.

MaWizz thanked mtnmom9
  • sherri1058
    7 years ago

"Were I you, I'd find the boss and nail him/her down about this timeline.
    Be blunt. Do they want your business? Have they overbooked? Are you OK
    with the actual timeline now that you know what it really is - maybe? If
    the answers aren't satisfactory, walk away, or at least consider your
    alternatives
    ."

I did all of those things, and the owner just
    gave me the answers I wanted to hear. It was super frustrating, and
    still makes my blood boil thinking about it. He did get the job done, and
    the product is good, but the experience was horrible, absolutely
    horrible.

MaWizz thanked sherri1058
  • eam44
    7 years ago

Different folks have different working "styles". If you haven't paid this person, shop elsewhere. Her work style does not fit with your expectations.

MaWizz thanked eam44
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Omg suannze that's terrible I'm glad you were able see the writing on the wall with that and make a new plan. I'm fearing that may be road I'm headed down but I'm trying to be patient. I agree I need to get those answers and dates nailed down. I was trying to not be pushy, but now I'm getting annoyed. The person who recommend this company did say sometimes they have an odd schedule and that's fine but I'm not getting any responses :(

sherri I think that is going to be the case. I hate to change course as they came highly recommended and I've seen their work. Maybe I'm just not patient enough?

Different folks have different working "styles".

Eam that's true and again I was told that they are a laid back group and can have an odd work schedule. I thought I'd be fine with that because I can be like that too but we haven't even got past getting the drawing correct!

The KD actually did say in an earlier text to me he wanted to get the order in for the cabinets. How the heck do you order the cabinets if they aren't even the right size?! Grrr!

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I had a very similar experience. I stuck with them though because, aside from communication and timing, they were a good fit. Turns out the communication made the whole process more frustrating for me as I became project manager constantly telling workers what needed to be done and still getting ignored. At the end of the day, I have a beautiful kitchen. But, oh boy, what a painful process it was.

MaWizz thanked smm5525
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mark I think DH and I were happy that it was a friend referrral as we have had really good luck with projects that way. this group was the last of people we were considering and seemed to be the best fit with Products, talent, understanding our vision, flexibility, options, cost, etc. I guess over the past few weeks I have told myself this was the best fit knowing all these things and that I just need to hang in there.

Smm I appreciate your feedback as I feel like I'm in the same situation. I guess I just wanted to see if this is normal. I have a feeling this is going to be a long painful process if I stick with this group, but I was not impressed with the other options. The communication is brutal :(

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

My KD, who works for a custom millwork company, has shared timelines in each meeting/discussion we have. I think its fair for you to ask for and expect the same.

My KD shared the following elements of the timeline very clearly:

1. Design phase - lock in on design, layout, products. In my case my KD has provided design updates weekly, based on my feedback During this phase I should identify installer.

2. Design freeze and final measure - She comes to the house prior to the order to take EXACT measurements. The installer must be present for this.

3. Order is placed - Then 7 weeks for delivery

4. All cabinets delivered to their facility. Then 2 weeks for inspection and custom modifications to the cabinets, as per the design

5. Installation - timing is dependent on contractor availability and commitment. Hopefully can be penciled in for a date 9 weeks after cabinet order.

6. Countertop slabs can be purchased when cabinets are ordered, but the measure and fabrication can't happen until after cabinets are installed. Then 3 weeks for countertop fabrication, and possibly 1 more week for install.

From this timeline, I know that minimally I will not have my kitchen done for 12 weeks AFTER the cabinet order is placed. The dependencies to get the order placed are to finalize on the design and then identify the installer to be present at the final measure meeting.

The way I look at it, all those "other things" that need to be done can happen during the 7-9 weeks after the cabinets have been ordered. In my situation, recovering from a flood that resulted in my whole house being gutted (living in a hotel now), my priority is to get the kitchen design locked in so the cabinets can be ordered. My walls and floors can be reconstructed during that 9 weeks of waiting for the cabinets.

If you are not getting this level of detail from your KD, then I see three possible explanations - either they are overbooked and kicking the can, so to speak, OR they don't understand the level of detail you want/expect and are actually further along than you know, OR there is some incompetence on their end, and they are not capable of managing a complex project. (Hopefully its not the latter!)

MaWizz thanked Jill Coopersmith
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jill thanks for the feedback sorry to hear about your flood :( I hope you can get back into your home soon! Geez for you it is extremely important to have that firm timeline! I expect the same guidelines as you have laid out this is not my first rodeo, but I'm still on number 1. after just over a month! Really?! I'm really trying to figure out what the deal is.

Again, they have been nothing but nice so it makes me think they still want to do business. When we've met they always share with me all the pics of current projects. last I knew they were working on a kitchen in a 2 million dollar home and were excited to share the pics. I want to believe they have over committed on jobs. I also wonder if my job is like "chump change" to them so low priority to bigger jobs?

• smm5525
    7 years ago

MaWizz, it probably has to do with their laid back style. The design process was sloooooooow for me as well. We would meet, discuss changes then I would receive drawings without the changes we discussed. So we would meet again, and again I would have to explain changes. The fault was put on me numerous times saying I kept wanting changes but in reality my changes just never all made it to paper! Even things that were intialed. Even final plans had some mistakes and I noticed after cabinets were delivered and installed. I ended up leaving well enough alone but I didn't appreciate my contractor acting as if it was my fault.

MaWizz thanked smm5525
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We would meet, discuss changes then I would receive drawings without the changes we discussed.

Yes!

So we would meet again, and again I would have to explain changes.

Yes!

The fault was put on me numerous times saying I kept wanting changes but in reality my changes just never all made it to paper! Even things that were intialed. Even final plans had some mistakes and I noticed after cabinets were delivered and installed. I ended up leaving well enough alone but I didn't appreciate my contractor acting as if it was my fault.

Yes the initial drawing that was incorrect they made seem like my fault as the KD said after the second drawing ... we have already made changes twice. What?! Yeah because the drawing wasn't even close the first time!

Based on how things are going I feel like it's going to be the same for me. I'm somewhat glad to know other have had the same experience, but it's brutal. Ugh! :(

How long did your process take from beginning to install to end?

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG! I just got a text from my KD! His ears must have been ringing or he read my post here. He justed texted me that he hopes to have the updated drawing to me tomorrow! Wow I won't hold my breath, but am so excited and hopeful. See these are my emotions! One minute happy and excited and the next frustrated and raging. Geez this emotional roller coaster is gonna be the death of me!

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

UPDATE

after two weeks of waiting KD texted me yesterday saying drawings are complete and correct asking if he could come over for review. All looked good and a deposit was made! I am so excited to finally get started! Expected start date is 3 weeks! Woo Hoo! :D I'm nervous and excited.

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

Yay! What a great update. I met with my KD today too, and we are going to contract on Thursday!

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

awesome Jill it's very exciting! since you and I will be starting at around the same time we can share our progress together :) I'm sure we will have more buddies starting at the same too. I'm gonna need a support group at this rate LOL

Jill are you the one doing the Shilo?

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

Yeah, me too. Our cabinets are going to take 7-9 weeks to come in, so we are looking at mid June. Looks like we won't be back in our house until July! I just hope the rest of the house is back together by then.

I just started another thread about our kitchen design, and will update that with some details and progress.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow that is gonna take some time! the way my kd works it will prob end up being the same time lol. lucky you don't have to live there with a big mess! Is this a new home for you? also i did a quick edit to ask if you were the one doing or looking at the Shilo cabinets? I loved those.

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

Not a new home. We are flood victims from back in January. We had a waterline under our sink burst while we were out of town and we are down to cement and studs in all rooms (1900 SF of damage!). We live in a hotel now while we are awaiting insurance settlement. We are hoping that the reconstruction and flooring installation can be completed by the time the cabinets come in, but that is going VERY slow. The water and mold remediation was completed in early March and no reconstruction work has started yet.

Yes - we are going with Shiloh - hybrid customized. We are working through a millworks/cabinetry company that does customization to the Shiloh brand so we are having them do some hand-built upgrades. This is why the cabinets will take so long. They also agreed to store all of our cabinets until our home is ready for the kitchen installation.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Omg that's right about the flood and you having to be in hotel :( I really hope they get things moving along for you!

Loved the pics of the Shilo cabinets can't wait to read about your progress.

It will be worth the wait ... stay positive! :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The stakes are just too low in residential remodeling. General Motors or Chase Bank will murder your children in their sleep if you don't meet your deadline.

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

My insurance company is footing our hotel bill (already into 3rd month), so I imagine they could put some pressure on if it starts to drag out too long.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol Joe that's true I worked for GM and at times it felt like that! Yikes!

Jill how is your project going?

Update: We are scheduled to start this Saturday!!! So excited!!! Fortunately I've been working a lot and it's been a good distraction from the waiting process :) Been just over a month but glad it's moving now. I think putting a few greenbacks down on the job was motivational ; ) I need to start thinking about setting up a make shift kitchen.

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

Hi MaWizz! So excited for you. I can understand the need for distraction - I am still awaiting an insurance settlement before our work can begin!

I have made some progress in terms of decisions. We did order our kitchen cabinets and quartz slabs and we have an installer scheduled for week of June 12. But our HOA and insurance company need to approve all the prep work (removal of remaining cabinets, drywall repair, moldings, paint, etc) to be completed by end of May and that is a wildcard right now. I have also selected all of my floors, and new bathroom materials, which we are also aiming for June installation. Our goal is to move back in by July.

I am including a prototype of our kitchen but I have clarify that in this drawing the top moldings and cabinet color and style are not rendering correctly so it looks funny. But I have seen the technical specs and drawings so I know they are correctly ordered.

Final kitchen design by Caves Kitchens. The top moldings are not rendering corr · More Info

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow that's so exciting Jill! You've been busy! It's a little bit of a wait, but your accomplishing a lot now and at least you aren't under pressure to make last minute decisions. Your decisions will be better and more thoughtful. I love the prototype pic ... your kitchen color scheme is so much like mine. Cabinet color and counter top color and I even just ordered an eat in kitchen dining set with similar chairs as in your pic! I can't wait for you to get started so we can share pics :)

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago

Those are not my actual chairs, though I do like them. I am actually keeping my existing chairs which are wrought iron with ivory leather seats (different than the seats shown). Also, I just ordered my new dining room table from Bassett, shown

Kitchen Project 2017 · More Info

love this table. · More Info

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow you and I have very similar taste! That's a beautiful table! Your table is similar to what I ordered. Mine more on modern side... round with glass top and dark base, my table base looks like the legs are inverted holding the glass top if that makes sense. I'll try to put a pic if I can find tomorrow.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ordered this table and chairs for our eat in kitchen dining area but I selected counter height. Thought the higher chairs and table would look more to scale in the room as our ceilings in kitchen are vaulted to 18-20'. The chairs are a white leather ... No cloth for my gang in this room anyway ; ) oh and ordered a couple extra chairs. my table is not as elegant as yours but I figure this is fine for every day dining. After looking at all the pics of dining tables I really need to update my dining room a little too! That will be next : )

• Jill Coopersmith
    7 years ago
    I love your table and chairs! You are right... we have similar taste!
  • oldbat2be
    7 years ago

MaWizz - Exciting to hear the start - post progress pictures please. Ceilings vaulted 18-20' - wow!

MaWizz thanked oldbat2be
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There you are ob2b! Thanks yes it is exciting! It's going at snails pace right now but I need to start a new thread with progress pics. Regarding the ceilings yes we are guessing now that the vault goes 10' - 18' in the kitchen area and continues to 22' in the center of the great room. I would appreciate your advice on anything and everything. You did such a beautiful job with your kitchen :) I was hoping you would give me your opinion on hardware. Let me see if I can find that old thread I'll bump it up if I can. Actually it was on counter top choices too. Thanks in advance!

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jill what's going on with your kitchen?

• Jill Coopersmith
    6 years ago
    Nothing yet! We are still waiting for the insurance settlement to get things started. Our kitchen was ordered back in April and is expected to be delivered by June 9th. Our contractor is scheduled for the week of June 12th. But the reconstruction and repair of our walls, moldings, floors, etc, has not started yet and may force us to delay the kitchen install. We were told that the work may start this coming Monday which would be great, as that would keep us on schedule. I am trying to be hopeful.

I now have everythingvelse picked out except the backsplash. My Kitchen floor will be grouted Alterna vinyl in Sistine White. The ajacent dining room floor will be Mirage Maple Sonora hardwood... and I already shared the Basset dining table which has been ordered.

I just can't wait to get back home, especially to all my newly designed rooms!
  • Jill Coopersmith
    6 years ago

Hi MaWizz -

How is your project going? Would love to see progress pictures.

I just posted an update here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4672834/so-excited-cabinets-are-in-and-they-are-gorgeous

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Still moving at snails pace Jill as we are just back from vacation. Don't know if I shared but kitchen guys found water staining on drywall and we had roofers test and repair a small area so a little set back but hope we are good. Glad to find and fix now! Anyway, Can't wait to see more pics of yours ...beautiful cabinets you have! So worth the wait :)