SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyonce_gw

So... Funny thing happened when I moved into a new place...

nyonce
15 years ago

Ok, this one is complicated. I hope someone can help.

I moved into a new apartment that requires renters insurance. No prob, I figured. Little did I know I'd actually need it days later.

On the 3rd day of living there, I get a phone call from the propert/office manager demanding I come home from work... There had been a fire. Turns out my neighbor left a candle burning and almost burned the whole place down. Fortunately, the only real damage he did was to his apartment, and some mild smoke and water damage to ours. At first, everything is cool. The restoration company said it would only take a few days (2-3 tops... His words). The restoration company put me up in a hotel (that insurance would reimburse). That was a week ago yesterday. Talking to the restoration company now and they say it will be a week and a half before all the insurance companies involved will coordinate and get everything apraised. Could be fixed by sometime next month!

Honestly though, I'm getting the run around from the restoration company (wasn't until today I heard this), insurance (who won't do squat until it's apraises) and the apartment complex (who feel it's not their problem)

I've been pretty patient up until this point... But now that there's no sign of this ending anytime soon, and my "personal expenses" being depleted as the days go by... My question is: what do I do? Do I demand the apartment put me in a new unit? If one isn't available, do I demand to get our money back and find new housing? Do I yell at the restoration company to hurry up (eventhough they're the only place that's actually helped so far?)

Oh, I should also mention that my fire-friendly neighbor....yeah, he's not actually covered like he was supposed to be. Not sure if he faked it or just didn't pay. So he's not going to pay any of my deductable unless things to to court (which is a whole other can of worms).

So yeah... Now I'm in a hotel... Running down the clock with no idea where to turn. I've been here longer than I was in the apartment... Stuff is still boxed! Any thoughts? It would be very appreciated!

-nick

Ps. I wrote this from my phone (my only source of entertainment right now)... So I apologize for the poor grammar and spelling.

Ps. I wrote this on my phone, please forgive any spelling or

Comments (3)

Sponsored