SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Picnic lunch for desert heat

Lars
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Kevin wanted to go to Anza Borrego State Park to see the wildflowers this year, and so I booked a motel for Friday and Saturday, and Kevin got Friday off. The closest motel I could find to Borrego Springs was in Indio, about 65 miles away, but at least that's 100 miles and almost three hours closer than we are now, and the traffic from Indio should not be too bad, I hope. Anyway, we want to spend the entire day Saturday exploring the park and looking for wildflowers, and so I thought it might be a good idea to take a picnic lunch, to give us more flexibility. Unfortunately, the forecast for Friday/Saturday is in the mid 90s, and so I want to take something that will be refreshing. I have one orange and a bunch of limes, and so I think I'll make limeade, but I'm not sure what to take for food. I have some hummus that I made on Sunday, and that should be okay, but it's not enough for a lunch. I'm going to take some nuts for snacking also. Thinking about the heat makes me lose my appetite, and so I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. I think I might buy some more oranges.

What do you like to eat when it's hot? I was not expecting this weather when I made the reservations, but at least we should not have trouble with low water crossings - I think they should be dry by the time we get there. I am a bit concerned about crowds and traffic, as all the hotels in the area are fully booked, but I cannot imagine the desert being that crowded. The San Diego newspaper warned about traffic.

Comments (23)