SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

My day (actually yesterday)

marilyn_c
7 years ago

I went out to feed the horses this morning and Val was in his stall, looking out at me. I looked away for a moment and got his feed and started to him, and he was on his back with both back legs stuck through the gate. He is in a makeshift stall that had a regular pasture type gate on it. It has spaces in it....tiny ones at the bottom but about 6x4 higher up. He decided to roll and got cast in the stall. Both back legs hung in the gate. He was motionless, so I was talking to him, trying to keep him calm. The gate was tied and with him against it, I couldn't get it untied. Then he panicked and started thrashing around but he did get free. He skinned his legs in several places but I don't think anything serious.

I turned out the other horses after I fed them and they started galloping up the driveway to the front pasture. I saw my oldest horse fall. (She is 30 yrs old,). There is a wide ditch along the driveway and we have had lots of rain and it is full. I got to her and she was on her side. Her head was laying on the bank on the opposite side. The water was about knee deep...over the tops of my rubber boots. I put her head on my lap and tried to soothe her. She was breathing so hard. I didn't know what to do....had no one to help me. Phone was in the house but even so, I had no one to call. Jody was an hour and a half away. After a short while she stopped breathing so hard and sat up in a more normal position. I didn't try to make her get up....I didn't know if she could. I was afraid she had broken a leg. The front gate was open so I had to go close it. Since she had raised up to a more natural position, I left her to do that. Turned around and she was on her feet. She walked off. I checked on her several times during the day.

One of my FB friends rescued a kill pen horse. Turns out he had been a dressage horse and she was so happy with plans to show him. Last week he broke his femur and had to be put down. They have no idea how it happened. She was devastated. I cried along with her other friends as I read about it. I love all my horses, but Val is so special to me. I love him almost too much. To see him cast in his stall....which is 12x12....scared me half to death.

TueLo is an old horse. I just went thru an episode with her where I considered putting her down. She got better so my goal is to keep her healthy and let her live as long as she can.

When she fell in the ditch, I wondered if She would ever get up. I contemplated that if she broke her leg, I would have to shoot her.

This was written yesterday. Add to my stress level 35 baby possums, altho all but 3 are eating out of a dish now.

Comments (32)