SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_veg

How to cat-proof a box spring?

the_veg
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My significant other has a cat. Said cat likes to claw the box spring of her bed, mostly the thin felt-like stuff underneath but sometimes also the sides. We want to put an end to this. And yes, she does provide PLENTY of things made for the job of providing a good scratching opportunity, and the cat does use them- but still can't resist the box spring.

*PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST DE-CLAWING THE CAT! THIS IS MUTILATION AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!*

Anyway, my first idea was to cover the bottom of the box spring with some of the 4'x8' plastic sheet you can find at The Homeless Despot. This is the heavy white stuff used for protecting walls against moisture and abrasion. Inexpensive, easy to cut, and I'll drill a few holes in it so the spring can still breathe. That should without a doubt fix things underneath.

But what to do about the sides of the box spring? I thought about going around the sides with a big loop of the same plastic about 8" high, but the more I think about that, the worse an idea it sounds like.

I'm also researching covers, but coming up with nothing but fabric ones which probably won't be any match for claws, given that the heavy synthetic fabric of the spring's exteriour was no match.

Any thoughts?

Comments (7)