SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lylaloveshydrangea

First time caller, long time listener

Lyla Zone 7b/8a
7 years ago

AKA I have been stalking Gardenweb for years. This stupid freeze after such a lovely Spring-like Winter in 7b/8A has me inside and frustrated with 10 roses sitting in my downstairs shower while I wait it out so I thought I would step out of the shadows and stop lurking. I loved the topic of 'Your first rose' but I didn't want to derail the thread.

I hated the first rose I ever recall seeing. I remember clearly I was about 8 when we moved into a house with a GIANT 10 foot tall rose bush of yellow roses with bright orange edges. It was right by the bottom of the porch stairs and being that my parents had zero interest in gardening it would attack anyone who came by and was, in general, a giant eyesore. It convinced me I hated roses.

Fast forward to 2012 and we had moved back to Charlotte from San Diego and finally had a yard(though an overgrown weed-filled mess for having been vacant two years), and the ability to use water for it, and over half an acre to do with as I pleased. Which wasn't anything because I didn't know I loved gardening until 2014 when I discovered I adored hydrangeas, and promptly planted 55 of them and began to do something with the 25x25 slightly raised area I assume used to have playground equipment on it in the far right corner of the yard. Still hated roses, as all I had ever seen of them were knockouts(which, like azaleas, for an unknown reason turn my stomach) and giant overgrown monstrosities. Until the end of that year when I discovered lilac colored roses, and roses that were well cared for and beautifully shaped. My local nursery was taking pre-orders that Fall for Spring and I ordered a Love Song, after much deliberation between that and Poseidon and Neptune.

The beginning of doing 'something' with the 25'x25' raised area, I started by building raised beds for veggies and surrounded the area with Limelight Hydrangea. May 2014:

The obsession grew quickly, June 2014:

June 2014:

August 2014:

While I waited I found GardenWeb, and suddenly an obsession was born. Prior to even receiving my LS I had now added to my order Winchester Cathedral, PJPII, Lagerfeld, Angel Face, Heirloom, Ginger Hill, Paradise, New Dawn, Eden, Pretty in Pink Eden, Cloud 10, and 7 Icebergs.

I bought trellises and arches and giant urns galore, I created new garden beds, and Spring of 2015 when it all started blooming I felt something click into place within my soul. Gardening, and hydrangeas, and roses, and bearded iris, and peonies, and alliums, and tulips, and clematis and about a billion dollars(it seems like) spent but not wasted was exactly what I needed in my life.

April 2015:

Love Song May 2, 2015:

Love Song May 3, 2015:

Love Song May 5, 2015, the picture that won the contest:

Love Song, when it bloomed, stole my heart and my breath. I took many pictures of my garden in bloom, and one I posted on Heirlooms facebook page when they asked for images of a favorite rose for a contest. They declared my picture the winner and sent me quite the gift package, a gallon Shropshire Lad, a beautiful set of secateurs, fish emulsion, bone meal, and rose gardening gloves, which, unfortunately due to my giant hands, were too small.

The garden was gorgeous in 2015:

And then we moved in May of 2016. Now, I am not complaining, I was the one who instigated the move by finding our dream house, the layout being exactly perfect for our family (previously, much of the house we lived in was unused due to it just not being a good fit for our family). The new house is exactly that, a new house, new construction, and due to closing on our former home a month prior to the new one being completed, I did not get to take anything from my garden with me. Knowing we were moving I hadn't gotten to enjoy the Spring of 2016, either, so to say I am chomping at the bit to get started is a vast understatement.

Here we have half the lot size we previously had, super hard-packed clay with zero drainage, a steep, uneven, sandy hill, bermuda grass as the only thing our HOA allows(sigh), and, due to my miscalculations about how far back they would eventually build my neighbors home...not ideal sun conditions for rose growing. I will out-stubborn all of these issues, I am sure.

There she is. Wish me luck.

Comments (34)