SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
frugaljon

hello from a first time poster long time reader

frugaljon z8 UK
6 years ago

Hi there, have been a long time lurker on this forum but felt compelled to write today and say hello. The reason being is that I saw a quote on a Facebook thing that was doing the rounds. It read.
"Anyone can love a rose, but it takes a great deal to love a leaf. It's ordinary to love the beautiful, but it's beautiful to love the ordinary."
I know that this is ultimately not about flowers or leafs but it got me thinking about hostas eventhough they are far from ordinary. I just wanted to share it.

Anyways, I'm from over in the UK an i've slowly been falling in love with leaves and getting hooked on hostas over the last few years but due to trying to move house my first few hostas never went in the ground, then the deal on the house fell through. I didnt want to buy too many hostas for my garden before moving and another summer passed. Then we eventually did move, but to a garden that is small but took me all summer and autumn to clear so a slow but steady series of purchases have meant I have got a small collection of hostas and I am ready to give them their first home as their bed has been prepared and I am just waiting for spring to come. Some of my earlier purchases like frances Williams, blue flame, patriot and twilight have really never flourished and have been neglected, but this year they will get lots of attention as they go into the ground and hopefully I can get some pictures up to show you their progress one day.

I already have a planned layout in mind and must thank you all for the information I have read on here in educating me for my first proper year as a hosts grower. I am ready for spring, just a bit too early really.

Bought a lot of hostas reduced at the end of the summer so now have
Frances Williams
Blue flame
Twilight
Patriot
Guacamole
First frost
Fire and ice
El nino
Risky business
Halcyon
Whirlwind
Fragrant bouquet
Hyacinth in a
Great expectations
Gold standard
Avacado
June
Sum and substance
August moon

So. Hello everyone

Comments (26)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    6 years ago

Welcome Frugaljon, I lurked for a while before I jumped in too, now that you are settled you can go crazy and fill that garden. You have a good start with some excellent classic hostas and I'm sure you will be enabled by the good people here to expand your list. We are all longing for spring, I can't wait to start counting pips. This is a bit of a quiet time on the forum but will stir back to life after Christmas with the alphabet which is fun. Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Denis

• hostanista
    6 years ago

Hello right back at ya Frugaljon. You'll see lots of goodies during the Hosta Alphabet to begin on Dec 26 so be prepared to add lots of new hostas to your wish list. The photos that posters share on this forum are beautiful - it's easy to love 'em all. Welcome, and I can almost hear your British accent from here (Canada)!

• Related Discussions

hello gardenwebbers: first time poster, planting avocado seed

Q

Comments (5)
    Like you said about the number of superior fruit being found from seeds being grown by homeowners or wildlings near orchards, this gardening gig (hobby) will be done with a lot of experimenting. So I really am not worry about it. Acquiring the seeds to plant and experiment is always readily available. What's makes it fun will be hitting the jackpot one day and if not it will just make a pretty neat houseplant.
    ...See More

first time poster...long time reader -- all kit appliances advice

Q

Comments (6)
    Thought I'd chime in with one more thing, since I just read the "4 y/o Bosch bites the dust" thread... Maybe it's attributable to my fastidious dish rinse routine or sheer dumb luck, but I have managed to make my low end Whirlpool Gold d/w last 12+ years. Not even really sure how old it is -- it was here when I bought this place 10 years ago and I vaguely remember hearing that the previous owners replaced all appliances two years before I bought it. I have not, not once, not a single time EVER, had to have it serviced. It sounds pretty much like a freight train during an atomic bomb detonation but it runs every time, all the time. That is the kind of reliability I need in my life. I'm wondering if I can realistically expect that with a Miele or Bosch or any other manufacturer (including Whirlpool) for that matter. ::Thinking twice about even posting this, due to the jinxing risk::
    ...See More

New here, long-time reader. Pictures of my recent remodel.

Q

Comments (6)
    Simply Amazing! Your wife is a lucky woman and you should be very proud of your work. Maybe your toddler will have a dad who teaches him hands on projects over the years. Worth the extra effort. Nice job and thanks for showing us.
    ...See More

Please help first-time poster select paint color!

Q

Comments (2)
    Welcome. You might have better responses to this post if you post it in the Home Decorating forum. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Welcome, frugaljon! That is a good start for a hosta garden. Hope this new home is the right one for you and you can watch those babies grow big and beautiful!

Kathy

• dg
    6 years ago

Hi Frugaljon,
    Nice quote from facebook.

I have a few hosta that are on your list in my beds and pots. From your list, new to me in 2014 is El Nino. It has been a terrific performer all year.

An addition I'd like to suggest for your collection:
    hosta Ripple Effect
    It's a neat little plant with interesting leaves.

Spring can't come soon enough for sure, but in the mean time be sure to participate in the Hosta alphabet, starting in 3 short weeks!

Welcome to the forum :-)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Welcome frugaljon!
    I am quite new to this forum also. Such a great group as you have discovered. Happy gardening!

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    6 years ago

Welcome to the group! Nice list of hostas you have there. It will be 3 years in January when I joined this forum. When I joined I thought I had ordered a lot of hostas--I think my first order was about 8 maybe 10. Thanks to the people on this forurm I now have about 100 and I am really an amateur compared to a lot who have hundreds.

• frugaljon z8 UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Many thanks to you all for the warm welcome. A rather self indulgent post there I know but thought I would just go for it after a lot of procrastinating.

Denis I am in the SE in N Kent. Been very mild here the last few winters and no snow at all last year, but very wet instead and wouldn't be surprised to get the same again this year.

Dgregory, thanks for the suggestion. Have been looking at ripple effect actually already or curly fries. My collection so far have all been gathered from generic local garden centres. Once they're away this year and i can see what is working and where I think I will branch out a bit for more with my purchases to more specific and precise orders. I learn about different hostas now from this forum and the photos of peoples collections are inspiring and your gardens are beautiful, so sure i will get a list of must haves this summer. Any suggestions are always welcome though.

Stoc I don't think I have room for a hundred in my garden but might have to give it a go!!

• bkay2000
    6 years ago

Frugaljon, welcome to the forum.

I don't know how long you've been lurking, so I don't know if you've seen any of UK_hostaman's posts. I'm not sure where in the UK he lives, but I'm pretty sure it's England. He has a wonderful small property and grows the most gorgeous hosta you've ever seen - in pots. He hasn't posted much this year, but we hear from him occasionally.

Do a google search. His id on gardenweb was uk_hostaman. I've found one that I really enjoyed. and provided a link. He posted some great photos. It might take more than one search string to find them. They are some of the nicest potted hosta you've ever seen. I also found a link to his blog, which, though not updated, still exists. It's BlogSpot.com, I think.

If you can find his photos, it's worth looking for.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: A UK_hostman post

• frugaljon z8 UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bk, believe it or not i was looking at his pictures last night, with the topiary and without, beautiful garden. The dimensions of his garden are not too dissimilar to mine and while I need to keep a bit more lawn for the kids and a dreaded trampoline his borders are what I am going for.

Cheers for the link hadn't seen that one. Liberty has already jumped to near the top of the wishlist as has restless sea

This post was edited by frugaljon on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 4:09

• dg
    6 years ago

Ah hah!
    You have officially been enabled :-)

• uk-hostaman
    6 years ago

Hello
    I always feel like I am some kind of celebrity when someone mentions me in a post!
    Thanks for the nice comments and welcome frugaljon(how did you arrive at that username?)you will love it here.
    I haven't posted much lately as much is happening on a personal level so has been really hard to contribute to this great forum.
    If I could give a bit of advise,only buy from van de top and fransens guaranteed virus free and great hostas worth the extra postage and all the latest releases and very reliable.
    I would recommend seducer,goodness gracious,niagra falls,bridal falls,any sum and substance sports especially winter snow,Liberty,lakeside candy cee,arc de triumphe...actually I could go on and on!
    A good pot mix for me is 75% Irish peat and equal parts mini bark mix and perlite with a good feed of slow release fertilizer and bone meal in spring as the pips start to show and last start your slug pellets regime on February 14th!(easy to remember)
    Hope this helps and all the best for next season UK

• hostahillbilly
    6 years ago

Welcome! Your list is a great one. Whirlwind is a personal favorite as a small that stays small. Looking forward to seeing your growth in the coming year.
    hh

• frugaljon z8 UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good to hear from you uk-hostaman and thanks for the advice on your potting mix. I will start putting the majority of what I have into the ground but planning on keeping a few temperamental hostas like great expectations and Frances Williams in pots to find the best location for them for a few years and also experimenting with something like august moon into how much sun it can take so giving them the best opportunity to thrive in terms of their roots will of course be important, so thanks for your advice.
    Also thanks for the advice on sourcing hostas. Will definitely be placing an order with one of them this year and as I get a few more I will definitely be putting more in pots as I run out of room in shadey beds.
    (The username just came from how I try to live really, like to try and be quite self sufficient, growing some veg etc and being a bit 'thrifty' with my purchases. So far have not paid for a full price hosta, always looking for reduced ones or end of season clearance. Wonder if I will be able to keep that up!!)

• gardens1
    6 years ago

Welcome, frugaljon! I won't likely forget your location as I had a couple tour the gardens this spring from Kent. I also have to second a couple of UK's suggestions. Seducer truly seduces, and Goodness Gracious will make you say wow, my goodness gracious you really are a beauty! Also check out one of Jo's top gun picks, Fruit Punch. That got put on my list in a hurry! Never full price? Good luck!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    6 years ago

frugaljon, I also try to be frugal, I grow some veg/fruit and keep chickens and have planted several hundred trees for future firewood. I also love a bargain, fransen have a clearance list on their site of older varieties they are discontinuing, from E1.50 upwards, there are some really good ones, you should check it out. I ordered 10 from it recently and am tempted to add a few more to it.

So you live in Kent, nice part of the world, you don't get the extremes we get at the other side of these islands, well mabey you get the heat lol.

Denis

Here is a link that might be useful: Fransen website.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    6 years ago

Welcome.

Can't wait to watch your 19 hostas turn into 283....

• frugaljon z8 UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My list is growing already thanks to that link Denis.
    Only getting a few smaller ones until I know how I am set for space but have bought my first full price hosta in there too - rainbow's end is an incredible looking hosta

• don_in_colorado
    6 years ago

Welcome to the GW forum, frugaljon. Looking forward to your seasonal pics. Hostas are a pretty fun drug : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• Bluegrassmom
    6 years ago

Hello, I am new to this hosta forum too. I grow about 35 cultivars or more. I am just a gardening addict. I have about 250 daylilies, also iris, coral bells, lillium. You get the picture.

I always say DL and Iris for the Sun and Hosta for the Shade.

I live in southcentral KY and love touring Botanical Gardens.

Teresa

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Hi Teresa----I am quite new too, welcome! You are in good company here as we all share the most wonderful of addictions. Again , welcome.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Hi frugaljon! I have only been posting and reading since this past April. The forums are really fun and you will also learn alot, you probably already know that. My yard has mostly hosta, heuchera and daylilies. If you check out the perenial forum you will probably meet a fellow UK gardener named Campanula. She( i believe) posts frequently. Just thought you might enjoy meeting another UK gardnener!

Sherry

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    6 years ago

That's it, Frugaljon! You've gone over the edge..no turning back! No doubt you will be paying full price for more than one because you will find that you NEED that particular hosta, really NEED it.

Welcome to the wonderful, crazy world of hosta! We are here for you but you really need to post some pics, quickly! No hosta exists unless we've seen a picture, lol.

I've got 10 of the ones on your list - I like the way your list started...with Frances Williams, a big beauty!

Looking forward to your future posts.

Jo

• donrawson
    6 years ago

A warm welcome, frugaljon!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

Frugaljon, if you hang around here too much, you may have to change your user name! ðÂÂÂ

Cynthia

• frugaljon z8 UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Again, many thanks to all for the welcome. Have to say though that this winter is getting a bit boring with regards to hostas already. I just get into something and it's taken away!
    Need to find a winter passtime which doesnt involve looking at hostas on the internet at work

• Moccasin
    6 years ago

Hey there, Frugaljon....welcome aboard.
    I wish to recommend to your pleasure a video on YouTube about the Hanging Hosta of Hampshire. Ever heard of them? I've watched the videos innumerable times, trying to note details of how they manage so many hosta, and what happens when winter comes, you know, just looking and dreaming. I link to one such video below.

My hosta garden is 25 x 100 and is in coastal Alabama (near the Gulf of Mexico), and my zone is considered 9a or at best 8b. We have an undependable winter here, but we manage a few freezes and cold temps enough to make dormancy possible.

Get ready to join the fun day after Christmas, when the Hosta Alphabet series begins. Until then, similar threads exist for last last several years. Wonderful resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: HANGING HOSTAS OF HAMPSHIRE video