SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

Pondering strategies for weedy garden areas, your thoughts?

linaria_gw
7 years ago

Hi there, (Europe, Swirzerland, mild z7)

after some smorhering with black plastik sheets in my allottment, I got rid of most of the nasties ( mostly bindweed)

but with spring returning I had to discover that almost a quarter of that patch is conquered by Ranunculus ficaria, Lesser Celandine(?)., about 450 square feet or roughly 45 sqare meter

my situation: I got very little time for gardening (big surprise)

I have enough space in a well cleared area for veggies or flowers,

so my first thought was: hey, just start a lawn, keep mowing, and the Ranunculus wont be bothering me any longer

but when doing the reality check I guessed that the neccessairy leveling of the terrain would take me some serious time.

plus the Ranunculus does most of its growing now, the young grass couldn't compete with it yet.

so, second thought: I got some of those black plastic sheets left, so I think, the fastest would be to rougly clear the area (I had some annuals (Cosmos, green manure and sunflowers sown in that area)

rake off the last years annuals, pull out the odd resilient, perennial weed and do another round of smothering ( that area was not covered in round one for some reason...),

the sun is getting warmer right now, so that should help some.

I pondered weed killer, but just would like to avoid round up and most of all, Im

'm just not sure whether it would kill the bulbs as well.

any comments or additions? Thanks a bundle, bye, Lin

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida