SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

New garden patch, all weedy: smothering but how?

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there
I garden on an allotment, small thing, about 2'200 squfeet ( we rent it from the city council for as long as we want)
Our neighbour quit after years of neglecting her place and we just applied for it and got it now, after 3 other persons had turned down the offer.

It's covered in bindweed (Convolvulus) which has been spreading for years, some dots of a nasty weedy grass (Elymus repens) and just rounded off with mainly borage.

Glyphosate or any other herbicide are not allowed. I found an organic herbicid though, wich I will use on the bindweed and couchgrass once.

It is supoposed to kill off some roots, but strong established plants most likely could resprout.

So, I thought to cover the worst parts with something for a year or so, to kill off the permanent weeds for good.

My first thought was sturdy black plastic sheets (UV- resistant), from a farmer's shop.

But I got second thoughts whether the soil life and all the nice bugs and worms would die as well. The other option would be cardboard and/or newspaper.
Would probably last for a year if I put down thicker layers, holding it down with paving stones and things. Only problem is that the soil is not very level, so spreading newspaper could be a challenge, even if we flattend it somewhat first.

Or I do a mix. Plastic onto the area with the worst bindweed infection, the rest with papery stuff.

Any thoughts or comments?

We do have some time and planed to start planting some berries or fruit trees in autumn 2015, and perhaps growing green manure or annual flowers in larg areas in 2016 ( dear me, that sound like, quite a long way to go...)

So thanks for your thought, bye, Lin

And that is a pic of the patch

Comments (30)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH