SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axsuul

I started having strange rashes a year ago... could it be my couch?

James Hu
7 years ago

I started having rashes appear about a year ago which I now realized coincided with the purchase of my West Elm sectional (4 piece urban chaise). I thought it was due to something else because I'm quite sensitive to things and have other allergies but now I realize that whenever I sit on the couch, the rashes and itching start happening (some form of dermatitis probably). I started doing some research on it and it sounds like it could be due to Dimethyl fumarate (DMF), a chemical sprayed on imported couches from China to prevent mold from growing. I'm not entirely sure if this is actually it but it sounds like it could be a possibility. I've also washed all the covers of the couch and still experience the itching and rashes. Would love to know what everyone's thoughts are on what could be the root cause of it. Is it possible that I could file a claim with West Elm about this as well given that it's been this long as well? I paid almost $5k for the couch and would hate to just throw it away! Thanks

Comments (5)