SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

My June POTM: Finishing A Project Dad Started 15 Years Ago

kirkus
16 years ago

This is a bit late, but I finished my June Project of the Month (POTM), completing a project my late father had started in 1992. Recently, I was helping my brother, who lives in my late parents home, sort through items that belonged to my parents. We came across a covered area behind the garage with piles of wood underneath. In the piles were 2 little benches and a table that my Dad had made to go with outdoor chairs he had built. (These were the ones I refinished and posted on GardenWeb Junk in May. See the link below. This summer, my family and I have spent countless hours in Dad's chairs, sitting outside in the evenings!) The benches and little table were wobbly and weathered. My brother helped me tighten all of the bolts. The table had been finished and used, but my brother told me the stools had not been completed. Dad had stained the tops the day before he died, planning on finishing the stools the next day. My brother didnÂt want to keep the table and stools, reminded of a project Dad couldnÂt complete. I understand. However, I wanted to complete the job for Dad. Here are the benches before I finished them. You can see the stain Dad had applied 15 years ago:

{{gwi:158221}}

And here they are (with the chairs Dad had made) after I finished them, using the color of stain that matches the chairs I redid. The stain REALLY matches the original stain on top of the little benches! I think Dad would be happy with the finished results.

The other night, I sat in one chair with my feet up on the stool and imagined Dad in the other Thank you, Dad. Kirk

P.S. My brother visited us the other night and was so glad I took on this project! He also told me that Dad used all scrap wood from the throw-away scrap pile where he worked! That makes the chairs, table, and stools even more special!

{{gwi:158222}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Chairs Built By My Dad

Comments (21)