SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amcofar

Here's my finished kitchen project

amcofar
16 years ago

HereÂs my finished kitchen. ItÂs not nearly as impressive as the other truly amazing remodels posted on GW, but the simple and relatively inexpensive changes weÂve made certainly improved our 21-year-old builderÂs-grade kitchen.

We spent about $15,500 in total for everything. However, that total also includes the tile floor that flows from the kitchen into our formal dining room and the replacement flooring in two small bathrooms and replacement cabinet doors and drawer fronts for the vanities and storage cabinetry in those two rooms, as well.

--Cabinets: We kept the cabinets intact since they were sturdy, site-built cabinets made from Ash. New doors, drawer boxes and fronts were painted with latex acrylic "Pitt-Tech" paint from Pittsburgh Paints in spice ivory. Our cabinet man constructed the drawer boxes and installed supports for Blum full-extension drawer slidesÂtruly a joy to have. And new hidden door hinges work wonderfullyÂno more wonky doors that wouldnÂt fully close. My cabinet guy also installed our crown molding. Our drawer fronts and doors were custom made by The Cabinet Door Shop in Hot Springs, AR.

--Appliances are G.E. Profile. I love my Trivection electric range, Advantium speedcook/microwave oven, smart-dispense dishwasher and French-door refrigerator. These appliances account for $8,000 of the total cost of our kitchen project

--Flooring: French Quarter ceramic tile by DaltileÂthree sizes of tile installed randomly

--Sink: Blanco Silgranit super-single sink, with grid, in metallic grey and DeltaÂs Leland faucet

--Countertop: Wilsonart HD Laminate in flint

This project began in March, 2007. Most of the work took place over the summer, but it took me forever to finish painting my cabinets. I only recently moved everything back into my kitchen after my cabinet man installed crown molding. One seemingly simple but dramatic change involved the removal of unsightly overly-applied ceiling texture. I actually scraped the popcorn off the ceiling myself. It was not a pleasant job, and I almost suffered heat stroke (no joke). I also painted the cabinets myself, including the insides. Our walls are painted with Pittsburgh Paints soft suede. My husband installed the beadboard paneling backsplash. We also had a new back door installed by LoweÂs.

Before:

After:

Comments (49)

• amcofar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a link to my online photo album

Here is a link that might be useful: AMC of AR's Kitchen Photo Album

• soigne
    16 years ago

Nice job!!! Love the floor.

• Related Discussions

My June POTM: Finishing A Project Dad Started 15 Years Ago

Q

Comments (21)
    Thank you everyone! I get teary eyed reading your kind words...I'm such a soft-hearted guy. (Drives people nuts...especially at a tear jerker movie or during Hallmark commercials!!!!) :o) I'm so glad I could share my special project with my GardenWeb Junking friends! You are ALL the BEST! Dad would have loved this forum. Thank you! Bear Hugs! Kirk
    ...See More

You may think I'm crazy, but here's my WT project for spring

Q

Comments (35)
    Very pretty, indeed. I love the fabric...It's great to know how to sew, you can save a ton of money and change things all the time! I have tons of fabrics as well...stored in big tubs that are stacked on top of one another in a large guest closet. It's a sickness. Next time I go to my wonderful fabric guys, I'm going to bring my camera. You won't believe how much fabric they have...they ship all over the world (not retail - wholesale)It's a fabric-holic dream... The place is huge...I went 2 weeks ago to look for my dining room chairs and went home with samples, but nothing was right. I'll have to go back another day, when I have more time to look. When I went, I said I wanted something for my dining room table to use for protection, so I don't have to use the pads all the time...He gave me a huge bolt of the stuff for free, He said here take it...They are so nice these two guys. They sell me stuff for 1/2 of what I pay in the fabric stores and give me extra too... :)
    ...See More

My Almost Finished Barker Cabinet Project

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks everyone! Since I last posted I put some brighter bulbs in the light fixture and replaced one that was burned out. World of difference in the light! I'm really enjoying having the granite over the W/D for folding and the extra cabinet space. The whole thing just works better now. Thanks for the kind words about the wallpaper. It's much more palatable in person and also knowing that you all don't think it is so bad. It's cheery and rich and hides all manner of doggie paw prints and mishaps.
    ...See More

Here are all my kitchen finishes...what style light fixtures??

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi everyone, Finally coming back to this after some time spent ruminating. Our reno is now underway so I really need to pick out the lights! Elizardbeth, I really love those, but they are too expensive for me. I also fear that they'd get dirty since we will cook a lot on the peninsula and I have a little boy. :) Spartans99, I love that Murray Feiss pendant a lot. I'm a little concerned about how good it would be for task lighting, though, since that would be my light above the sink for washing dishes and also above the peninsula where I hope to do a lot of prep work. I read some reviews on amazon that expressed concern about the fact that it's see-through, so you don't want to choose the brightest light, or it's blinding. So the effect is rather 19th-century-ish...i.e., candlelit because people end up choosing the dimmer Edison bulbs. Anybody have any ideas on this? Or any other pendant ideas? Thanks! As always, I truly appreciate the amazing advice given on this forum.
    ...See More
  • lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed! What a huge difference you've made. Your new kitchen is so pretty and looks like a fun place to cook now. Congrats!

• cjacker
    16 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. I have the same flooring downstairs and I love it. It's been in several years and I never tire of it. You did a great job and I'm in love with your clock above the stove. Would you mind sharing where you got it?

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

Beautiful! What a difference! How do you like your Blanco Silgranit sink?

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

Your tile floor makes me want to scream obscentities!!! I was going to do the exact same tile in my kitchen, but when I went to order the tiles in January, I was told the factory that makes them was closing and I was out of luck. They could get the 12x12 and likely the 6x6, but not the 6x12. I wanted to cry, and now that I see how great your floor looks, I want to cry and cuss! It is lovely as is your whole kitchen. Can you please tell me if there was a certain pattern you used or if it is just random. I LOVE IT ALL! Whaaaaaa.

• amck2
    16 years ago

What a fresh new start for your kitchen! It looks so much airier and inviting. I love your paint color and the beadboard backsplash.

What great incentive for people who want to update, but don't want to start tearing into walls! My DD and her fiance are looking at homes that have kitchens similar to your "Before." I will have to show her your results. Congratulations!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Beautiful. It's amazing how good paint can totally transform a room. The floor is really pretty.

• try_hard
    16 years ago

Amcofar - I love it! It looks crisp, clean, airy, and cheerful. The floor is sooooo pretty. Good idea to cut the corner of the peninsula like that. I would have run into that dozens of times!

How do you like your sink grid - is it worth the money? I'm getting a super single in my new construction house and am open to using a grid.

You commented that this isn't one of the "truly amazing remodels" seen on GW but I have to say that your transformation is equally impressive and refreshing to others I've seen here. Great job!

try_hard

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Very nice. A lot of hard work, but what great results!

• kelleg69
    16 years ago

Are you kidding? I think the transformation is incredible! It looks very different and very fresh and pretty. Great job. I am a sucker for white kitchens and this just reminds me of why. Great job.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Excellent work! It's so completely different and updated, and the better sink makes it functionally better too. Really fabulous color choice, btw--not stark white, but warm and light at the same time, and it goes *fabulously* with the floor. Seriously an amazing remodel; good onya :)

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

What a bright and lovely space now! An amazing transformation of which you should be very proud! And all for only $15k! Way to go!

• shugee
    16 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful. I like all the well-thought out details like the angled corner of the peninsula and the clean, uncluttered look of the lighting and accessories. The flooring and stove clock backsplash are pure inspiration. The crown moulding adds a finished, classy touch and the cabs look beautiful - love the beveled look of the drawers.

I empathize with you about painting the cabinets yourself. I'm in the process of doing it now and going from dark to light/white requires patience and many primer coats. I, too, am thinking about going with the Wilsonart HD countertops - yours look lovely. Did you get a beveled edging on them? I'm afraid it might seem a little sharp when leaning on the edge - do you find this so?

• chrisinpa
    16 years ago

Amcofar,I love the light warm tones of your kitchen. It looks great. I also love the floor! In fact, we're building and selected the same tile (different color variations) for our mudroom, pantry, powder room area. Our tile guy warned us that it was being discontinued, but he was able to get it for us. I was a bit nervous making the selection from such a small sample, what with the color and size variation. The floor was installed a week ago and I LOVE IT... So happy we were able to get it before it went away!

• jessie21
    16 years ago

amco, your kitchen looks fantastic! It all just works so well, you should be proud.

Others have asked questions I'd like to hear answers to also but here's another. how about the light over your sink? Is it new and would you mind letting me know where you got it?

again, beautiful job.

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

chrisinpa, you got the daltile, too?! Now I'm really wailing! I was gonna get the Mardis Gras color. What color did you get. Can you post a pic? Why am I tormenting myself? I do have an Interceramic tile coming in tomorrow that will be second best, I guess. I don't like it as much as the daltile that you and amcofar got. Whaaaaaaa!

amcofar, I love all your "stuff" in your kitchen. It is what a kitchen and home is supposed to be about. Tell us a little about your backsplash, too. I have more questions for you, but don't want to be like a stalker. HA! But, tell us more, tell us more!

• amcofar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I thought it was silly of me to post my modest kitchen, but maybe someone else is thinking of using similar materials or colors.

gma_j: My clock came from J.C. Penney, online. It was about $40, I think.

pupwhipped: IÂm so sorry. There is another floor out there for you, and youÂll fall in love with it once you find it. As far as the way my tile is laid, itÂs just randomÂand the guy was worried about it turning out well when he started the job, too. The guys who installed my flooring donÂt usually work on remodels, but the flooring company I had been working with never returned my calls and the sales guy would actually hide from me whenever I visited the store. I later learned that this guy thought I was someone elseÂand I donÂt know what the rest of that story is, either! Anyway, I was able to find excellent flooring installers through a friend.

try_hard: I love my grid. I bought it from a seller on eBay. I think I paid about $90 for it. I feel the need to scrub it once a week with a stiff brush, but I like it because it cushions items I place in my quite-deep sink.

shugee: I did order the beveled edge. It isnÂt sharp when I lean against it. I lean against my peninsula quite a bit, too, right in front of my dishwasher. ThatÂs why I didnÂt get a dishwasher with a big handle in the front. As a matter of fact, just this morning I noticed there was an ad in a Home Depot flyer for my exact countertop shown with a beveled edge. When I glanced at the photo in the ad, I thought, "What a lovely stone countertop." A second look made me realize it was exactly what I have.

Jessie21: The light over sink is new. It came from LoweÂs. It was inexpensive. The ceiling fixture also came from LoweÂs. Both are fluorescent, as is the new pendant light (Home Depot purchase) over the peninsula. All lighting came from low to moderate-priced, in-stock inventory.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Wow what an impressive change :) You really did a great job with stretching your budget given that it included a hefty appliance budget :) I love the floor and am absolutely amazed at the new look on the doors! Fabulous!

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Wow! Great Job!

• cotehele
    16 years ago

The light colors show your antique blue dishes nicely. I am admiring the bread box, too! Enjoy!

• User
    16 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful. I too love white kitchens. I am impressed with your painting. I wish I had that talent and patience. Great and impressive job. Caroline

• User
    16 years ago

AMCOFAR, YOU DON'T GIVE YOURSELVES ENOUGH CREDIT; WHAT A FABULOUS TRANSFORMATION.

AND ON A BUDGET ONLY A HUSBAND WOULD LOVE(AT LEAST THE ONE IN THIS HOUSE)

I AM SOMETIMES MORE IMPRESSED WITH WHAT PEOPLE DO WITH A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY VERSUS A TON OF MONEY

YOU SHOULD BE EXTREMELY PROUD OF THE JOB YOU DID!!!!

ENJOY IT!

• alexamd
    16 years ago

What a nice job! Can you tell me about your barstools? Are they cherry? Where did you get them? Thanks!

• amcofar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alexamd: My barstools came from Target. They were described as having a cherry finish, and I suppose the wood is cherry. I paid $25 for each on sale, and I think I've had them since last April.

pupwhipped: The backsplash is beadboard paneling from Home Depot. My DH put it up, and I caulked it and painted it.

• yoyoma
    16 years ago

"One seemingly simple but dramatic change involved the removal of unsightly overly-applied ceiling texture. I actually scraped the popcorn off the ceiling myself."

If that ceiling was done before 1979 it probably contained asbestos. I'd be very careful about that.

• amcofar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yoyoma: My house was built in 1985. The reason I suffered heat stress while I removed the ceiling texture was because my kitchen was completely sealed off, and I was wearing protective gear. However, we were assured that our ceiling was free of asbestos.

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

I was thinking your before kitchen was kinda cute. I really love your updated one! Your blue china is amazing in that glass cabinet, it gives your kitchen such a timeless look. And the floor is wonderful, I never would have thought of random tile placement, it's beautiful. All of the colors work so well together. And I too have a very modest kitchen. Who cares how much we spend on our remodels! It ain't about the money its about the kitchen.I am glad you posted! You sure got your moneys worth! Enjoy!

• Yvonne B
    16 years ago

It's beautiful! And, I like the decorative touches - it's comfortable and welcoming. You really did an incredible job.

• abmatt
    16 years ago

At work so can't read all posts, but OMG your kitchen is wonderful. You can be so proud of the work you've done. I wanted to go with the hi-def laminate, but DH insisted on granite after someone put a bug in his ear about it. Sure, I love my stone but a nice application of the HD Lam would have suited our old house just fine. Let us know how you like it over the months to come.

Good job!

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! nice to see a kitchen layout that has worked for someone for 20 years...and more!! i am thinking i should save a copy, in case i ever need to design a u shaped kitchen! i also admired the way you "cut the corner" on the peninsula and also the way that the new molding completely changes the look of the soffit. very nice job kren

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Wow amcofar!! What a beautiful transformation. You did yourself proud.

Congrats!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

What a beautiful job you did! Your kitchen looks like a dollop of delicious pudding ... yum yum. Enjoy!

• chrisinpa
    16 years ago

For Pupwhipped--Yes, I have the daltile in Mardi Gras (sorry!!). Are you sure you want to continue torturing yourself? I'll take a picture over the weekend and try to post it. (I'm a newbie and have never tried posting a pic before.)

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

For Chrisinpa from pupwhipped in Arkansas. Well, I don't know if I want you to post it or not. It just might send me over the edge. I so wanted that dad-gum tile. Whaaaaaaaaa! Do me one favor if you can, as Mardis Gras is a darker color, what shade of grout did you use? If you can recall, that is. I will say this, you and amcofar have got some mighty fine lookin floors. Thanks.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Lovely kitchen. You were so lucky to be able to keep your cabinets and get such a great look by painting. It all looks so fresh and inviting.

• cheri127
    16 years ago

Wow! You must feel like you need sunglasses in the kitchen now compared to before! I don't think I'd have been brave enough to paint all those cabinets, but you did a fantastic job. And your blue plates look so pretty...you could barely notice them when the cabinet was black. I can't get over how different it looks. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

• divamum
    16 years ago

Beautiful result, and on a very small budget! I'm loving that we're seeing so many really gorgeous, imaginative budget remodels in here at the moment (well, I would, wouldn't I?!).

There are so many gooorrrgeeeous kitchens showcased in here that it's easy to feel like a "poor relative" if you're on a smaller budget, and I think it's important to show that "gorgeous" comes in all price bands. Expensive luxury kitchens are magnificent, but a beautiful refinish like this one can be just as impressive!

Congratulations!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Oh wow! What a difference! Such a great transformation!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

All I have to say is, I want that clock!! What a beautiful display!!! Don't put down that job - it is fantastic! Love it, love it, love it. It is genuine and has a creative flair that you just don't find too often. Again, love the makeover!!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Wonderful Amcofar! It looks like an entirely new kitchen. The cabinets look brand new! You did a wonderful job painting and decorating! I also love that clock!

Enjoy it!

• ideamom
    16 years ago

amcofar- Do you live in Hot Springs? That is where I live!

• amcofar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in Benton--not too far away, ideamom.

• homey_bird
    16 years ago

I loved the new kitchen! All the colors coordinate very well and the flooring adds a special character to the place! This is a beautiful kitchen. Congratulations and enjoy!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Uh Oh!

You're going to start a revival trend that sees the return of soffits! I like how you 'classed' them up!

Your kitchen is now very warm and appealing!

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

WOW and for $15,500. You stretched your dollar and got a beautiful kitchen at the same time.

• pugger
    16 years ago

Wow!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Yes, I usually hate soffits but they do look great. One more place to put that beautiful paint color. I think the crown moulding is wonderful.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

All I can say is WOW! What a wonderful transformation! It's so much brighter and fresher. And you sunk your money into the important stuff, the appliances! The floor is just amazing, reminds me a bit of my multi colored slate floor which I think is the star of my new kitchen. I love the big clock and I LOVE LOVE LOVE all your dishes AND the fact that you're not afraid to display them all. I love that you have surrounded yourself with the things you love. I love dishes, too and istantly recognized the Hull brown drip pitcher in the before picture above! I have tons of brown drip! Hmmm, notice how many times I used "love" in this post?!

You are truly an inspiration, be proud and enjoy your LOVE-ly new space!

Robin