SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostedo

Questions on growing desert plants (yucca, cactus,...) on the prairie

bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Not much experience with growing these types of plants and would appreciate advice on any of the following.

The first question is about the pale-leaf yucca (Y. pallida) that is actually native to the Blackland Prairie. It's a pot-raised pup that is very near (at?) its mature size and ready to be moved to a permanent spot. Does anyone know when these usually bloom in north Texas and if this one looks like it might? Pot became fairly well rooted to the ground over the winter and I'll wait to disturb it if there's a realistic chance it may bloom soon:

Second question is about propagating these thornless prickly pear cactus pads picked up when a neighbor recently cut theirs back. The instructions I've been following said not to water until new growth appears. Does that sound right? Know it needs to be kept mostly dry to prevent rot, but seems a little moisture could help with rooting:

This 'Macho Mocha' mangave was banked in the warmest dry bed on our property and still devastated by our hard freeze:
I noticed there seemed to be 3 or 4 shoots starting around the root ball when I removed all the damaged growth and replanted. Question is when best to divide them - soon or let them develop in this pot until next year?
After a fruitless search for native honeysuckle bush, I decided to try fernbush (Chamaebatiaria millifolium) in the spot after an impulse purchase from HCG. Is anybody growing this - especially in north Texas? Cool looking plant, but figure it is a gamble with our soil and elevation.
-TIA

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21