SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillondoyle

Need help in deciding what cactus and succulents to grow

dillondoyle
10 years ago

I live in the middle of AZ where it gets to be over 120 degrees in early July - Aug. It doesn't really come down bellow 100 until end Sept. The reason I'm dithering about the weather is because I am from Seattle where I used to grow Foxglove, bamboo and ferns... Now I only kill plants. I need help... no actually I need an intervention. Not only do I not know how to garden anymore but without gardening I hate it here - There must be a way to make a nice garden here that is applicable to the hellish conditions. I figured I'd plant some local varieties of plants but the nurseries I've been to off water loving (soon to be dead) plants. PLEASE I know less than nothing about succulents and precious little about cactus (except how to pick prickly pear pads and grow them). Can someone take pity of me and help me learn which plants I can grow here. I'd sort of like to have a "mosaic" garden - i.e., a lot of small succulents (think hens and ckicks???) making patterns. But I'm not sure that full sun and horrible heat would allow for a successful garden. And I have yet to figure out how cactus can look good... and I had ONE lovely big yucca in my front yard that died from some kind of bore-beetle. Well if you have read this far you can tell. I really need your help. :-)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor