SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Red Creeping Thyme for front lawn zone 6 CT

Richard Dollard
7 years ago

I am considering replacing the grass in part of my front yard that burns and dies off almost every year. It's only a small section maybe 12' x 6". I have shrubs and plants in most of the other areas. Every year during the summer when we have less rain the grass starts dying back starting at the sidewalk and slowly creeps inwards towards the planted areas. Last year was the worst and I lost all of the grass in that area. I have owned my house 26 years now and just about every year the same thing happens and I end up planting grass seed in the fall or spring. Doing some research online I have come upon creeping red thyme. It's supposed to be more drought tolerant. The area I want to doesn't get walked on much unless we are working in the yard. Do you think this is a good idea or do you have any other suggestions. I have also thought of just doing more shrubs and perennials in there but my other half isn't keen on that. It may take more convincing. It's the area on the lower right of the picture. This is the best picture I have right now but the area extends a bit more to the right. Thanks!

Comments (14)