SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agathawords

Where to buy creeping thyme plants locally or online

agathawords
14 years ago

Newbie here, both to gardening and to the forum. I'd appreciate any advice folks could pass on.

I'd like to plant a mix of varieties of thyme to grow in between the stepping stones leading up to our front porch (the article that gave me the idea is here: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/dep/greenman/fragrant_pathway.pdf).

The pathway faces north but receives full sun all day. Soil is regular clay but I'm happy to amend if needed (I know some thymes need excellent drainage, and our regular old culinary thyme has done great in a raised bed).

I'd like some or all of the thymes to be fragrant. Being drought-tolerant, fast-growing, step-on-able, and suitable for cooking/flavoring would be a bonus (I'd love a lemony thyme that's not too tall to use in place of lemon zest/juice).

Here are some of the others suggested in the publication above:

Aureus 'creeping golden'

Caraway (I've heard it's invasive-- but great for flavoring meat-- wonder if the tradeoff would be worth it... I would like fast-growing..)

Creeping lime

Creeping red

Creeping white moss

Creeping wooly

Lemon Mother-of-Thyme

Mountain Thyme

Pink Ripple Thyme

Slver Thyme

I would like to create that beautful "tapestry" effect by mixing many varieties of thyme.

The pathway is 3' by 30' and I'd really like to it to fill in completely in 3 years or under.

Question is-- where can I buy these many varieties of thyme in bulk for the lowest cost?

Have looked online at Sandy Mush Herb Nursery (outside of Asheville-- didn't see any bulk discounts on their site, though), Mountain Valley Growers (shipping is expensive from CA), and Richters (prices are great, but again, shipping is expensive and I fear border delays).

Would you all recommend buying online or from a local nursery for a project of this scale?

How much thyme would you recommend buying up front? I know I can divide later... (though I've heard I have to wait up to 3 years to divide??) And about how fast do different varieties grow?

Thanks so much-- I've read through this forum and you all sound like a great group of people.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting