SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlvhawk3

Getting Ready to Remodel!

jlvhawk3
7 years ago

I've posted HERE before for some ideas on remodeling our tiny and terrible kitchen. At the time, we were considering more extensive things like removing the wall, moving doors/windows, etc. We decided for the value of the house and our long term plans, a simpler remodel that made the kitchen more useful without costing too much was the best idea.

That being said, here is the plan we have come up with and will be staring in the coming weeks.

With this plan, we'll finally have a dishwasher...hallelujah! My wife and I both like to cook and sometimes are both making supper at the same time, so we're excited to have at least a little room on both sides of the range so we aren't constantly reaching around/over each other. We do lose some counter space, but we think it will be more usable to have some on both sides of the stove and not have the deep corner area, and we can use the buffet for some extra space also. Getting rid of the peninsula should help open things up a bit, as will getting rid of the soffit and raising upper cabinets from 14" to 19" above the counters.

We should have way more usable cabinet storage also. The new pantry area should make up for what we lost in the peninsula, and with drawers on all of the base cabinets things will be much more accessible and efficient. Uppers will go from 30" to 40" cabinets.

We are doing Ikea Bodbyn gray for all of the cabinets and a DOMSJÖ double sink. Still deciding what we want to do for counter tops. We'll be installing under cabinet lighting from inspiredled.com, as well.

Any last minute tips/tweaks/suggestions? We have all of the cabinets purchased so we can't do a major overhaul of this design, but it might be possible to change some things.

Can't wait to finally get rid of this inefficient 1970's kitchen! I'll try to post some before pictures and some progress/after pictures as well.

Comments (13)