SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

How deep do you plant your pepper seeds?

isgen
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not looking for recommendation so much as everyone's experience is like regarding this topic.

Looking around on various pepper forums, it seems that people generally recommend somewhere between ¼" to ½" deep, some even going as shallow as 1/8". Some use the rule of 2, 3 or even 4x the seed's diameter.

Personally, I poke the medium with a sharpened pencil, roughly the depth of the tapered section and drop the seed in there. This gives me something like ½" to ¾" of depth. This is somewhat deeper than average. Some posters also explain sprouting failures by too great a planting depth.

I for one don't have issues I'd directly attribute to my planting depth. If anything, it probably solves something that was an annoyance when I planted shallower: the dreaded stuck seed casing. You know when it stays on the cotyledon, dries out in the air and ends-up choking the leaves inside it unless you try to cut it yourself, also at the risk of damaging the fragile seed leaves? I find that a bit more depth, in addition to the soil being finger-tucked (not too compact) over the seed, makes for greater resistance for the plant to rub and shed the seed casing against. Keeping the medium constantly moist is also important, regardless of planting depth, as a softened casing will be shed more easily.

So far this season, I'm on my way to an apparent 100% germination rate (for 24 seeds) and not a single seed casing visible above the medium. I think I like the somewhat deeper planting.

Do any of you have preference or experience with different planting depths?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH