SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

What's happening in your California garden?

echolane
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I know it's still a little early for interesting photos, but I'm so eager for spring! I'm out every day in my garden looking for new evidence and hoping that our upcoming local forecast for daytime temps approaching 65 and warmer nights will mean a rush of evidence that spring is springing.

Here's what's happening so far in my garden...

Pieris. I can't remember which one it is but it's an uncommon one and it's putting on a spectacular show. Past their prime camellia flowers in the background.

Emerging Brunnera Jack Frost

Heuchera Georgia Peach. I've tried so many Heucheras and discarded most of them, but this one continues to please me.

Mahonia Skylark. This is my first Mahonia ever, planted last fall from a five gallon container, and I am looking forward to watching it grow up and putting on a bigger show.

Left over fall/winter colors from a couple of dwarf Nandina.

Viburnum Sargentii Onondaga just leafing out. Nice spring brownish maroon colored leaves that will soon be green.

Ornamental grasses showing new green are often the first signs of spring in my garden, but they are really slow this year. It's not only been very rainy but it's been cold; perhaps that's the reason. Here's a photo of the one that's most advanced, Pennisetum Desert Plains, but coming along much more slowly are Pennisetum Ginger Love, Deschampsia cespitosa, Calamagrostis Overdam. Really slow are Bouteloua and Panicum. If I look really closely I can see a little green on the Boutelouas but nothing at all on the Panicums.

Lastly (for now) is my amazing Disanthus cercidifolia, which started to leaf out around Jan 29th. Here it is now showing its really pretty Cercis/Redbud lookalike leaves.

Not worthy of photos yet are the newly emerging leaves and flowers of Ribes aureum gracillimum, the aging flowers of Ribes White Icicle, the expanding flowering buds of Ceonothus Concha and various Fothergilla cultivars. The roses and some Japanese maples are leafing out now too, many of them with colorful foliage that looks so pretty.

A few more that are leafing out or shooting: Philadephus Covelo, Physocarpus capitatus, Holodiscus discolor, Heteromeles/Toyon.

Comments (41)