SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xerophytenyc

Sowing/ Growing "difficult" seeds

xerophyte NYC
7 years ago

I just planted these Aztekium valdezii seeds last week, many starting to sprout, tiny green blobs. I plan to sprinkle clayey loam as they get bigger, to fill the gaps between the substrate particles.

Here are some Aztekium hintonii seedlings, several yrs old. Some are dried and dead from an unfortunate hot spell last summer. Survival of the fittest.

These are my oldest and biggest Aztekium ritteri from seed. Almost 20 yrs old!

Here are those same 2 plants in 2007:

And here in 2002. I must have sown them around 1996 or so. Damn they are slow!

Muiria hortensae, these are about 5 months old. A few have shed their cotyledons, the rest are about to.

Blossfeldia are actually faster than Aztekium. Sown 2006:

Here they are flowering in 2013:

Unfortunately, the Blossfeldia all perished from the same heatstroke that took out some of the Aztekium last summer. Over the years, I have by far lost more plants to heat and drought than to cold and rot. Not even close.

The key to all these slow pokes is constant water. I water the Muiria every day, and I sprinkle some table salt on them too. They live in salty dirt in habitat, I've seen no ill effects from imitating this to a small degree.

The Blossfeldia and Aztekium stay damp constantly until you see some real areoles. A dose of H2O2 will safely rid the mix of algae. Rain water or acidified tap water is also helpful since a salty crust tends to form on these little guys sometimes.

And most of all, you need lots of patience...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting