SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Seed starting 2009: what are you sowing/growing?

grant_in_arizona
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

What seeds are you starting indoors or out? It's always fun to compare notes both now, and later in the season.

I started a batch of zonal geraniums (Pelargoniums technically) on Halloween and planted them into the open ground about a month ago--they're doing really well and just about ready to start blooming (I already planted some purchased-as-plants geraniums in several pots and they've been blooming nonstop since October as well).

Currently I've got several pots of mixed aloe seed from a company in the UK, some mixed Cleistocactus seeds, variegated culinary hot peppers, adeniums, Jatropha multifida, tomatoes, Lachenalia, Cereus peruvianus (I know, I know, I can just go buy them as plants anywhere, but it's fun to start them from seed) stapelia, hybrid gazania, and a few specific species of Aloes too (globuligemma etc), plus Bauhinia galpinii (which has yet to sprout, grrr, lol--they are a plant I've seen thriving in The Living Desert zoo/garden in Palm Springs and in a few gardens around Phoenix too). I'll be starting a lot more in the coming weeks and months.

I'm a huge cactus/succulent/citrus fan, but I also always have a lot of potted plants outside year round, and pepper in annuals here and there too. I noticed self-sown flowering tobacco, tree tobacco, various desert penstemons, four o clocks, good old desert bluebells, daturas, California poppies, and a few others sprouting out back in my little garden too.

I also crammed some nasturtium seeds here-and-there two weeks ago (mid January) and see them popping up as well. They are always one of my favorites even though the black aphids always end up finding them during the end of their season, and even though the plants just melt when the blast furnace kicks on, but they do have quite a few months of effortless beauty, don't they?

What about you? What seeds are you starting indoors or out? Ordering? It's always fun to compare.

Take care and happy gardening,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic/info on Bauhinia galpinii for anyone curious

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting