SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellusionz

Home value vs bedrooms

ellusionz
7 years ago

We've been searching for a home to purchase for a while due to needs changing. We need a home more useable for my dad who is now in a wheel chair and a separate space for me (inlaw suite/apartment). Most homes in our price range (around 250k or less) are either old so not useable for a wheel chair, or super nice but no separate living space.

I purchased my house for 55k about 5 years ago, as home value goes I'd say it has doubled to about 100k I think? My realtor is working on getting me comps to confirm. So I got to thinking another option could be to redo our current house to fit. Unfortunately again, old house and other than building up it'll be more about tearing down. As I understand building up can be just as costly as buying a new house.

The house is currently a 3/2 with two bedrooms side by side and a bathroom, then a converted garage bedroom. My idea was we could combine the two bedrooms and bathroom to create a master suite. Then build a carport or garage, not connected to the house, with a studio apartment.

I know removing rooms greatly devalues a house. But does adding the room separately help at all? I plan to get a contractor out to see how much it would all cost. Just wanted to see what others insight might be. Appreciate your advice.

Comments (5)