SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_vache

My Tap-Watered Nepenthes

Alyssa (Zone 6)
7 years ago

Hello fellow plant people!

A few months ago, I think in late october or early november. here is what it looked like when i brought it home from the nursery:

Since i brought it home, I have not given it anything but tap water from a Brita filter and flushed the substrate occasionally, maybe once every three weeks, with water straight from the tap. I have VERY hard, borderline gross water here, at 24 out of 100. This is what he looks like today:

I am holding the plant the same way i am in the first picture, meaning the leaf at 6 o'clock in today's first picture is the same leaf at 6 o'clock in the picture from when i got it. as you can (hopefully) see, MUCH greener, looking more lush and putting out a set of new pitchers (lost all but one of the original set from the nursery). sitting in a tray of water about 1/4-1/2" high in a south to southwest bay window between a bird of paradise and monstera deliciosa. bright indirect light almost all day with 4-6 hours of direct, dappled sunlight. once the tray is dry, i leave it for up to 4 days before refilling the tray or flushing the pot.

in summer i will try a rain catch, but as of now my sink seems to be treating him pretty well!

Comments (17)

Sponsored