SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kohn_gw

Ammonia in my tap water

kohn
15 years ago

Hi,

I've learned so much from all of you! Now I have a problem with my small (250 gal) outdoor pond. I built it last August, put in 6, 2-inch goldfish, and they lived through to the Spring. I cleaned out the whole pond a few weeks ago and added new water with conditioner and slime coat, and a few days later all of the fish had died. When I tested the ammonia, it was very high. What happened? Is this a new cycle problem, and I should have been adding an ammonia blocker (I had cleaned the filters that one time with chlorinated water and then added bacteria)? Could it have been the new plants we added, from a local garden store -- the tank smelled horrible on the 100 degree day that we bought them. Could it have bben the excessive rain we had during the few days prior? And finally, we tested our tap water and found an ammonia level only slightly lower than the pond level (still in the danger zone). Is it possible to have high ammonia in tap water, and then need to use a product to remove it with every water change?

Please help! We are fishless and very unhappy!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH