SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelspokane

I Got Lei'd!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's been a while since I've been to Honolulu, but one thing I remembered is Chinatown is where you go to find leis. Many grocery stores (even Costco!) will sell boring ones composed of Dendrobium orchids, with nothing for the nose, but in Chinatown you will find these:

Plumeria, probably 'Celadine'. Common except in the Winter months. $8!

White Ginger (Hedychium coronarium). My guess is it took the flowers of a 10'x10' patch of this critter to make this lei. $13!

Pua Keni Keni (Fagraea berteriana). The name means 10 cent flower. This is, hands down, THE MOST FRAGRANT of all lei flowers! The perfume is overpowering, and ranks somewhere beyond Oriental lilies and Tuberose in its intensity. The flowers begin as the palest gold, then progress to pumpkin orange over the course of three days. Then they turn black. The aroma is sooo close to ylang ylang that you'd think they were related, but they aren't. $10!

I've been wearing these leis in turn all evening, and now my shirt has absorbed the fragrance. Heaven! I'm in Heaven!

On a side note, though I love Tuberose leis, Tuberose eats Pua Keni Keni's dust!

Comments (3)