SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

seeking floor plan ideas for under-utilized room

newenglandsara2
7 years ago

Hi there, we live in a 4 bedroom house, but we don't have an "extra" room for guests or an office since we have three kids (with no room sharing options.) My husband is having knee surgery this summer, and he will likely need to sleep downstairs for a few weeks. In addition, we would love to carve out a room for guests/office use on a somewhat regular basis. Our first floor has 3-4 rooms. One (counts as 1-2) is an open kitchen/dining room area where we spend almost all of our time. Another is a formal dining room that currently can't flex due to the furniture we have in there.

The final room is the space in question: it is a large living room that we almost never use. It currently has doors on two of the three doorways, and we could add a door on the third. We would love to maintain the "living room" feel to at least part of the space since it is sometimes helpful to have a hang out space that is away from the TV/kitchen. We also need to keep the piano on the current wall since it is the only interior wall. However, it would be great to change the floor plan so that we can incorporate a desk space and maybe also a daybed space for a guest. We are willing to budget for new furniture as our alternative is an expensive project of enclosing our screened-in porch.

I am including photos and would love suggestions about how to set up this space to better suit our needs! We have never really "moved in" here, so I realize that it looks like a total mish mosh right now. :-) We are ready for a fully revamp!

Thanks in advance!

Sara

Comment