SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ike_stewart

Blueberries with 5.6 pH native soil?

Ike Stewart
7 years ago

I am looking for your long term thoughts and advice on growing blueberries in soil that has a pH slightly higher than ideal, it is a 5.6 pH fine silty sandy loam soil that is moderately well drained located in SW Louisiana. I know blueberries can grow here without soil modification, as I have 2 unknown varieties of rabbit eye blueberry bushes that are at least 20 years old, maybe even 30 that went untended for several years. Over the last year I have been working on systematically pruning back the old minimally productive wood. They however are not the main topic of this message, I have also added about a dozen more blueberries over the last 18 months or so. First 3 that were in 1 gallon pots, then 3 "2 year old" bare root Pink Lemonade blueberries, that I suspect were more like 1 year old, then finally 8 that were in 3 gallon pots last October, overall a mix of rabbit eye and southern highbush. Most were planted in holes with roughly equal proportions of native soil, aged pine bark fines and peat moss.

So far all have survived, but I am not sure they are thriving as well as I would like, growth particularly on the Pink Lemonade has been minimal after a year in the ground only one is over 12 inches tall. So I am looking for thoughts on what I should do to either fertilize, amend the soil, or both.

Comments (3)