SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

New construction: layout suggestions wanted

Beth
7 years ago

We're currently in the conceptual design stage of a new build. Other than money is an object :-), we've got a lot of flexibility.

Link to the full house conceptual layout: use this link.

This is the current kitchen layout, and I know it needs some adjustments.

The kitchen area is 11'6" wide, and shown as 12' deep. I'm sure the kitchen is currently not big enough. The entry area from the garage is also negotiable.

This is my cousin's kitchen layout, which is very close to what I wanted to do (although my beverage center takes the place of having a butler's pantry). I want the beverage center to be readily available for parties

I think I'd rather have the kitchen at the back of the house, although now I'm wavering (I was sure--now I'm not)

Sweeby Test Results

• comfortable energetic happy, dramatic granite
  • spacious? light and bright
  • Traditional
  • Casual and classy, clean lines
  • pristine or weathered, professional or homey? : Homey
  • How much zing? and where? Incredible granite island countertop, bright large window
  • Comfortable--I want everyone to think, "I could cook in here" "I'd love to cook in here"

I envision an L shape with a large island

Family Composition: Empty nesters with 3 grown children. No grandchildren (yet)

Number of cooks: I cook (sometimes but not as often as I should). DH doesn't, but he often does kitchen cleanup while I cook. When we entertain, we frequently have 2-4 people hanging out in the kitchen, making food, putting stuff out, etc.

Do I cook? Not as much as I should. I also bake.

Entertaining: We entertain often, large groups, usually for heavy snackage rather than meals which means we want to be able to put out lots of food on an island for people to serve from. With our new home, we'll be closer to family, so we'll be more likely to have extended family dinners. We do not entertain formally.

Using the kitchen: Cooking, baking, eating, clean up, parties

Sink location: My preference is to have the sink centered under a window (wide counter height window)

Beverage center: yes!! --for soda and alcohol, want beverage refrigerator. We'll have a coffee maker and an electric tea pot stored there, but they aren't used except for company. Soda/beer/bar part will be used more often. If it's not too expensive, we'll have a sink there, but it's not required.

Baking center: I use my prep counter for baking and that's fine. I don't want to allocate separate space for it

Snack center: no. Not sure what a Snack center is for :-)

Appliances and such:

• French door refrigerator, standard depth with recessed wall so it appears counter depth
  • 36" cooktop (no pot filler) (considering induction, otherwise gas)
  • Hood--could be cabinet with hood in it
  • Single oven (currently have a Trivection)
  • Microwave: shelf or built-in
  • Dishwasher--standard (prefer to right of sink)
  • Prep sink
  • Single bowl sink
  • Beverage fridge

Pantry: I love my current corner walk-in pantry but could be flexible about the pantry--I do need one, and the garage mudroom/utility room is very loose right now--and will not include the w/d currently shown there.

I'm excited to be embarking on this--10 years ago everyone here helped me put together a kitchen I still love in my current home. But we're moving, so...

Comments (10)