SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhonwyn_gw

Mixed Pot Help

7 years ago

I was given a small pot of mixed succulents as an unexpected early Valentine's gift. Thankfully he was smart enough to avoid the glued on rocks and the little glass globe "terrariums" and the plants actually aren't in awful shape for being from a grocery store, in spite of a little leaf damage in the bag on the way home. I haven't watered them since I got them, just on general principle. The tag says I now have a Jade, an Echeveria, and a Pachyveria, none of which I've owned before.

I've been an off-and-on lurker on this forum for a couple of years, so I know that I should probably repot these little guys, but I have several questions (in no particular order).

1. When I took them into the better light of the kitchen for the photo just now, I noticed the pachyveria looking wrinkly. I probably won't get to repotting before Saturday - should I water now?

2. I noticed when I touched the echeveria that the "dust" on the leaves comes off - and now I know (too late) from reading here that it will not grow back. So how do I go about getting the small plastic pot out of the glass container and the plants out of the pot without rubbing off even more?

3. I know I want the jade separate, but can the pachy and the echeveria live together, or would three little pots be best? I do have some 4" terracotta.

4. Thanks to my reading here, I already have some perlite and some peat-less soil and a giant bag of turface that I used to make a mix for some of my other succulents. I have a Haworthia attenuata (old lady with many pups), a H. coarctata, and an Aloe juvenna that is in need of a repot of its own. The coarctata is currently in a 50-50 soil and perlite mix, the attenuatas are in a turface/perlite/soil mix (I think 2:1:1, but it's been more than a year since I mixed it and I didn't write it down.) I know the topic of soil mixes is a complex and widely debated one here, but maybe someone could give me some suggestions. Do I put all three plants in the same mix? Would 50-50 or 60-40 perlite and soil work? I've read that having soil and turface in the same mix is not good, since the soil eventually reduces the porosity of the turface, so should I not use turface? Or would some combination of turface and perlite be better?

5. I should note that I do tend to underwater (life gets busy and I remember the watering just before bed half the time), so perhaps I need a combination that is more water-retentive? But then again, I know water-retentive = rot. That's one of the reasons I love my attenuata - they can take a whole lot of neglect without dying. :-) I have also moved from zone 7a in the Northeast to zone 8a in north Texas, so I'm still getting the hang of the weather down here (this whole "occasionally 80 degrees in February" thing is still mind blowing!). I did lose some sempervivums to underwatering in the heat I wasn't used to last summer. So,

6. What kind of temperature range can these three take? I have a north-east window and a north-west window with nice wide ledges, but they are single-pane glass, so if it's actually cold outside, the ledges are cool. I do wonder about them baking outside in a few months, though. I know the pachyveria and the echeveria both need bright light to keep their rosettes compact, so I'm thinking about getting a daylight CFL bulb and a desk lamp (my crassula muscosa seedlings that are leaning toward the window would probably appreciate it too.) I don't have a basement or a garage for a more elaborate overwintering with lights setup. Both windows get some direct sun, but the north-east window has trees not very far away so it gets less than it could.

Ok, that is probably way too much information (thanks for reading this far!) but I like to be thorough. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comment (1)