SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustin_eubanks

Help Turn Weed Lawn to Grass!

Dustin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi All! I am trying to revive this weedy lawn. I am pretty green to lawn care myself, and I am not sure what grass we have or what would work best here. Its a mostly clay soil around here, but I have not been able to order a soil test since we moved in last winter. There are plenty of nice lawns in the neighborhood, and it all seems to be a thin blade grass of one kind or another (a lot of Bermuda I think, but not sure on the types to be honest). Our lawn is very small and has a sprinkler system that is in good working order, watering ~10 minutes each zone every other morning.

I hit the back with WeedBGone last October and again the other day. It seems a lot more grass is growing in the back than in the front, possibly as a result. I need to mow the back. I want to hit up the front with WeedBGone as well, but I am worried about my shrubs, rose bushes, and young live oak trees. Can I use that product in a hose sprayer around these, or better not?

I am also wondering about how to plan a strategy for seeding new grass, then applying pre-emergent herbicide & fertilizing on a regular schedule thereafter. Since there are so many weeds, not to mention huge patches of dead crabgrass that I need to dig up, I feel like I need to apply seed to get things really going. I know I can't apply pre-em before that, so what is my strategy for accomplishing both ... just do it in the right order? lol

I'll leave it at that for now. Pictures of front & back attached. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH